Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office 2003 licenses

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

I have recently walked into a mess regarding Office 2003 licensing at a job site I am working on.

There are about 40 or 50 Dekstops with XP Pro SP3 on them using Office 2003. Some machines have a Office 2003 volume license, some have a specific CD installation. All the CD's are scattered and it was never documented what CD license goes with what Desktop.

Is there a way to determine, either by license key or whatever, which Office CD installation goes with each individual Desktop? Where would I look to find a license key in Office 2003 applications? Can I gather that from a VB script remotely?

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 12 January 2010 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

I like to use a free key finder from magic jelly bean. It will pull all of the windows and office keys with a description of what the key goes to. Use it on a flash drive from pc to pc. I'm sure it is stored in the registry somewhere but I have never bothered to find out. As long as your using a retail CD for the retail and a volume license CD for the the VL then it will be fine. The keys are not tied to the CD that was used for the install. As far as telling which ones are VL or retail....hopefully they ae using the same key for their VL so as soon as you see a repeat key you know those have to be VL.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users