Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

built-in administrator unavailable in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alscritter

alscritter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Okay here is my problem:

I only have 1 account and that is the administrator account (I know bad move). I am using Windows XP Pro. I started up my laptop and it booted fine and came to the login screen. Nothing appeared on the screen except for the power button on the bottom. My administrator login was gone. So then I tried to log in under safe mode and the same thing. No administrator login in, just the power button on the bottom. I am pretty knowledgeable about computers, but this is the first time with this problem and I can't seem to figure it out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:22 AM

I had a similar situation once...I just did a repair install (I think).

In retrospect, it seems that it might be the userinit file that is damaged, but that's just guesswork.

Louis

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:06 PM

You deleted the account that was created when you setup XP? While that account has administrative rights it is not the default administrator account. That is not displayed using the welcome login screen. If you ctl-alt-delete several times at the welcome screen it will open a domain style login where you can type administrator and the associated password(you didn't leave it blank right?)
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 alscritter

alscritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:18 PM

hamluis - thanks and hopefully it doesn't come to that, but that is an option.

Baltboy - as far as I know I didn't delete anything, but yes it is the administrator account that is created with the XP install. I did try the domain style login, but I tried numerous different passwords and did try leaving it blank and nothing. Is there a default password? I have read that it could be "password".

Thanks for all the help.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:50 PM

The default administrator account is created during the installation. The password can be assigned at that point as well. Of course it could have been changed at some point after that. Who installed your windows? Hopefully they set the password and can remember it. If you can't find the appropriate password there are programs to reset it such as this one http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ .If none of that works than a repair install may be the only way to go.
Mark Twain

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

FWIW: There is no password for the Admin account, if none was set.

I have never used passwords...I live by myself and no one has access to my systems, thus I don't have the need. I require no password to do anything on my systems.

Louis

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

Using your the account setup with windows without a password while not a great idea is okay as by default windows will not allow a remote user to use that to login to the computer without having a password set. Having the guest account enabled with a blank password or the administrator account with a blank password is not a great idea as any script kiddie or other malicious user knows most people don't take the time to do this. It is like leaving your car running and the door wide open. You are wide open to attack from a remote attacker.
Mark Twain

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:52 AM

Thanks for the opinion...but I've had a computer since Oct 96 and I've been infected 1 time...a situation where I foolishly did a clean install and failed to employ my firewall as I visited WUS for updates.

All that you say is fundamentally true...for a novice user.

I don't advocate that others take the same view as I do...they are not me and I recognize that there is a lot more to system security...than the points that we have convered here. My situation is not theirs.

Louis

#9 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:49 AM

No big deal really. Call it paranoia from my MSCE and MCSA training. I just assume that most of the people I deal with are novices so I only give advice that fits that knowledge level so there is no confusion. Been doing this stuff what seems like forever. The first real computer I ever worked with was a Kpro!

Edited by Baltboy, 13 January 2010 - 11:50 AM.

Mark Twain

#10 alscritter

alscritter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:58 PM

Baltboy - I did the install myself and left the password blank. After using my laptop for awhile I did put a password on. I used a program to clear the password and it still did nothing. I will try this application to see if it works. If it does not, I will be doing a fresh install, thinking about going to windows 7. Thanks for all your help!

Any comments or concerns on Windows 7?

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:51 PM

Full speed ahead :thumbsup:, I think you will enjoy it :flowers:.

Louis

#12 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

I have just started testing windows 7 but so far I like what I see. If you have files you would like to get off of the drive use a program like BartPE to create a live windows CD then you can start up the computer form the CD-ROM and transfer the important files to a USB drive. Good Luck!
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users