Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 0x80040703

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dai

dai

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:17 AM

Hi all, my new 'puter is running Windows 7 64 bit, when trying to install the1881 British Census and National Index , (which ran ok on my old system of Win XP PRO 32 bit), the error " 0x80040703, faild to find DLL function sfc. srSetRestorePoint".is generated.I've tried the compatability prog, no good, i've uninstalled/installed it , ran it as Admin, and run under safe mode , but to no avail. Any ideas please? Thanks, Dai. :huh: <--- I like him!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Hello dai:

First, let me say 'wow' to such an old and obscure piece of software! =)
A quick cursory Google search of '1881 British Census' yields a very nice web page with basic text and a wallpapered image in the background. It made me smile.

Regardless, let's get down to it. And pay close attention, because the answer to this question will very likely determine if you have any hope at all. What version of Windows 7 are you running?
Post back here soon and let me know. =)

Thanks!
fueled by coffee™

#3 dai

dai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Anwyl M,B,E, I'm running (rather quaintly) Winwows 7 home premium., you have my undivided attention, and i'm sitting comfortably. Diolch yn fawr iawn , Dai :huh: :huh: <---i like him!

#4 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:19 PM

Dai, unfortunately for you, you will not have an easy solution to get this program to run. If you were running Windows 7 Professional or higher, you'd be able to download XP mode and run your program just fine. Since that is not the case, you have two options: either upgrade your edition of Windows or find a way to dual boot your system with your old XP license. You can find a basic guide to doing this here: http://lifehacker.com/5126781/how-to-dual-...ith-xp-or-vista

Good luck! So sorry there wasn't an easy fix that I could come up with.

[EDIT] Nice Welsh, by the way. How are things in the Valley? =)

Edited by mybuddyeric, 12 January 2010 - 03:21 PM.

fueled by coffee™

#5 dai

dai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

ha!ha!, you got me there who translated for you ?,Anyway i'll look into your very welcome suggestions, Diolch yn fawr iawn (thank you very much) dai :huh: :huh: <---I like him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users