Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dying laptop

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blerdus

Blerdus

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 07:19 AM

this is really an update of an old topic i started

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...hl=static+sound

well iv managed to fix the sound problem iv been having on my main system. i belive it must have been a bad connection on the PCI expansion slot. perhaps dust or a bad earth (dry joint) on that slot.
i changed the slot on which it was pluged in to. :thumbsup: simple really, dont know y i didnt think of it earlier. but neway.

i still have a problem with me laptop which im struggling to fix. so please, have a look at my old topic up there and if ne of u guys have any suggestions for me to try, please let me know.

I have this old laptop that crashes. HP nc6000.
from cold boot it will run for 5 or 10 min then freeze after which it will not boot. it turns on, lights flicker and then it turns off.
this only seems to happen in windows. it will sit there all day long in the bios. i thinks its a hardware prob, iv tried re seating ram and changing the slot. i was gona reseat the chip next and try blowing it through to get rid of all the dust n stuff in there. its a bit grubby in there which is making me think its a bad connection somewhere. although some said to me that the solder in the chip socket needs re flowing which is a bit beyond my abilities as i don't have all the equip for that. im not to sure that is the case tho.

what do u guys think.

many thanks steve.

Edited by garmanma, 12 January 2010 - 12:20 PM.
No need to link back-MG

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

have you tried installing Ubuntu or something similar? if it runs fine in ubuntu you can then tell if its a hard ware problem. if it doesnt well then you got a problem.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, try booting up using a linux based LiveCD and if things start acting up, it's time to junk it...
Wouldn't suggest replacing components on a laptop that old.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 13 January 2010 - 12:17 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Make sure the CPU cooling fan is spinning and is free of dust and lint.
Make sure there is enough air-flow into the lap-top case. I've seen cases where the CPU starts to over heat and the lap-top shuts down to avoid damage.
You may also have software or a hardware driver acting up.
Try using safe-mode hitting the F8 key at start up to see if this problem still occurs.
If not, then you have a driver issue that needs updating.
I did not read your origional post, I will now and re-edit this one if I find I need to add another comment.
Best regards!
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 Blerdus

Blerdus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:59 PM

:thumbsup:
thanks guys. im pretty sure its a hardware prob on me lappy. iv had a little chat with HP and they want 400 to fix it. haha. it only cost 80 and a new mobo is only 15+pnp. i know its old but for what my wife does on it id rather spend 15 squid on a new mobo than get another system if i can get away with it. she dont even need a pc, im sure she can do all she needs to do off her phone. bl***y facebook and the like.
neway i need to get her off me system so i think ill set the phone up for her and spend a bit more time with a screewdriver and me laptop laptop. n maybe a hammer.

most of the time it wont even boot up the cmos. just flickers the lights and fan spins up and then powers down. air-flow does seem ok to me. some times on the odd occasion it will boot in to windows and run for 10 mins and then either crash or restart.

i find it strange that if it does boot up, if i go in to the bios and leave it it will stay running untill i restart it but when i let it boot to windows, it crashes. it does lead me to believe its software but then it would boot all the time, so no. hardware. just, what bit? i'v had the hd out, battery and ram. still the same result. i havent touched things like bluetooth device or wireles card. their my next port of call when i get a few hours spare to have another fiddle. failing that i think all it would leave to change would be mobo and chip.

i didnt think about trying ubuntu live CD. ill have to give it a go. iv got it installed on another drive but iv just been given the gubbins of a new system and havent stuck it in here. yet.

thanks again. steve

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2010 - 07:04 PM

Possibility of the Ubuntu Live CD working:

just flickers the lights and fan spins up and then powers down.

In this case, it won't work

some times on the odd occasion it will boot in to windows and run for 10 mins

And in this case, it just might!

Remember, all you need to do is access the BIOS and change the boot sequence order, to make the CD/DVD drive primary.

Good luck!

they want 400 to fix it.

Ask them to bugger off. :thumbsup:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users