Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to share, but I want access 24/7.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 svirchow1

svirchow1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

Trying to get it setup where the printer is connected to the router, Computer1 is connected to the router on port 1, Computer2 is connected on port 2, and the printer would be connected on port 3. The printer is connected via USB to Computer1. But I want to connect the printer via Cat5 Ethernet to the router so that both computers can use it 24/7 without Computer1 having to be booted up at all. Is that even possible? Sorry for the confusing description, but that's the best way I can describe it. By the way, I am a power user in computers, but I can't find any resource online of how to do this anywhere.

Thanks Guys! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:20 AM

Probably depends on the printer, you might take a look at the topics at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...mp;oq=&aqi=.

Louis

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

It sounds like the printer is not designed to be network accessible in it`s out of the box design and in the manner you want it.

Something like THIS is probably what you will need.

#4 svirchow1

svirchow1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

It has an ethernet connection. (BTW its a Brother HL2170W.) But I want wired not wireless connectivity.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

The printer has an ethernet port so run a cable from it to your router. The router should assign it an IP. Then on each PC delete the printer as it is now listed. Then run the Add Printer on each PC. Choose "automatically detect a Networked printer".

If all goes as it is designed to do the printer should be found.

#6 svirchow1

svirchow1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:29 PM

I got it. I just had to use BRAdmin (Brother's server software) to configure TCP/IP settings, send those to the printer, then add the printer to a TCP/IP port in Windows. Thanks Guys. =D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users