Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I can't get rid of CCC (ATI Control Panel) and it's causing errors at startup

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 culmor30

culmor30

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Hey, first post, hi and all. Allow me to begin with a short narrative:

Today I was playing "Shattered Horizon" on Steam. I have a Mobility Radeon HD 4670. I was getting less-than-desirable performance. I thought, hey, maybe I should update my graphics drivers. Apparently, I'm not supposed to get them from AMD/ATI, but from Dell, my laptop manufacturer. Alright. I go to Dell.com, enter my service tag, and a page listing my laptop and all its hardware loads. I go to the video tab and download the only driver there, which (judging by odd version numbers) seems to be newer than the one I have installed. "Awesome," I thought. Maybe I will get some more FPS out of this.

But no. I install this new driver. It's the full ATI suite, CCC, drivers and all. At the end of the install, some error pops up, and it looks something like this:

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2760/5436543654.png

I thought nothing of it. I try to open CCC, and I get an almost identical error. I'm thinking, "how could Dell have screwed this up? The page I got this from was specifically tailored for my laptop, every driver there should work perfectly." I try to uninstall CCC. Add/Remove Programs window>CCC>Uninstall. Nothing happens. Running ATI's little uninstall tool doesn't help either, it uninstalls itself but not CCC. I am slowly going insane.

So, I start up a (text) chat with Dell customer support. He does his remote-control thing, tells me after about an hour of no progress that he'll get back to me tomorrow. Awesome. Forget that. I try a more forceful method of removing all ATI-related software and drivers, using Driver Cleaner Pro and Windows Install Cleanup. I restart, hoping for the best.... and... "Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation'...." FFFFFUUUUUUUUUU-

It's been about 6 hours since I've downloaded this "updated" driver from the Dell site. I've since gotten my display drivers working again using the CD that came with the laptop. All I want now is to get rid of CCC. Someone, anyone, please... help... I just want to be able to start up my computer without an error message. I don't want CCC in my context menus. Make it stop, please, make the pain stop.

Thanks in advance for any help :]

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I also tried restoring to a system restore point I made yesterday, and rolling back the driver. Nothing worked.

EDIT2: I'd really just like my computer to go back to the way it was before. I don't want to reformat, though, as I don't have enough space on external drives at the moment to backup all my data. Is there some way of just removing everything ATI-related without an uninstall from Windows Uninstaller? After that I could just reinstall from my OEM's driver disc.

Edited by culmor30, 12 January 2010 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

Hey culmor30:

Sounds like a real fun situation. Have you tried Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com) to clean up any of the mess made from ATI? Also, do you have your system drivers disk that came with your Dell? Once you uninstall the crap that screwed up your system, reinstall the original driver from the CD.

Would you please try that and post back when you're done? Good luck!

[EDIT] Oh! I almost forgot! If you need to stop the drivers from loading at startup, hold the Windows "flag" key, and type an 'R', then type 'msconfig'. In the 'Startup' tab, remove any instance of ATI or CCC you see. This will prevent the 'MOM' error from popping up. Go get em tiger!

Edited by mybuddyeric, 12 January 2010 - 12:13 AM.

fueled by coffee™

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:19 AM

the reality of it is, as long as its a dedicated video card the drivers from ATI will work with your video card. You could try going into your device manager, right click the video card, and then choose the option to uninstall the driver or roll back driver. if that doesnt work, revo uninstaller may work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 culmor30

culmor30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the quick responses :]

I uninstalled everything ATI and CCC-related with Revo Uninstaller. I then installed the drivers directly off my OEM's driver CD, the one that says "This is already installed on your system blah blah."

The install seemed to go well until the very end, when this happened:

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/5451/stoppedworking.png

Eventually it all just closed. I tried to run CCC via the context menu, but I was presented with this instead:

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1443/openccc.png

At least the error messages are different :\ Any ideas here?

#5 culmor30

culmor30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

the reality of it is, as long as its a dedicated video card the drivers from ATI will work with your video card. You could try going into your device manager, right click the video card, and then choose the option to uninstall the driver or roll back driver. if that doesnt work, revo uninstaller may work.

Haven't done this before, but if I uninstall the driver, it will revert to a standard no-acceleration VGA driver, correct? I don't want to have a laptop without a working video output. It's happened before, it wasn't fun.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:04 AM

in theory, but this is windows were talking about.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#7 culmor30

culmor30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:07 AM

This is my school laptop, so I can't afford to lose it for any amount of time...

...I'm gonna do it anyway, wish me luck.

EDIT: A SMASHING SUCCESS!

I reinstalled using the latest drivers from ati.amd.com (as opposed to game.amd.com) after uninstalling the driver through Windows and removing all related programs with Revo. I now have CCC working again, along with my display drivers. Thanks very much for the help!

Edited by culmor30, 12 January 2010 - 01:41 AM.

#8 mybuddyeric

mybuddyeric

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

This is my school laptop, so I can't afford to lose it for any amount of time...

...I'm gonna do it anyway, wish me luck.

EDIT: A SMASHING SUCCESS!

I reinstalled using the latest drivers from ati.amd.com (as opposed to game.amd.com) after uninstalling the driver through Windows and removing all related programs with Revo. I now have CCC working again, along with my display drivers. Thanks very much for the help!

I am glad you were able to resolve the issue! I've dealt with ATI driver issues before, and I can tell you from experience they are a headache. Thanks for letting us know about your results. Enjoy. =)
fueled by coffee™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users