Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP 1GB not installing...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jmoss1994

Jmoss1994

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:37 PM

Just got my Radeon HD 4650 after waiting through the weekend, managed to take out my old PS and put in a new one, then put in my Radeon card. The computer will not recognize the card, I'm not getting a new device found, a odd device, no nothing. I have it hooked up right now and I can feel the fan and see the fan moving, the computer just refuses to pick up the card. Installed the drivers for it and rebooted my computer and still nothing. My computer always falls back onto the built in S3 3D Savage pro.

I have in in the AGP slot at the moment. The power supply came with 3 four prong plug-ins (For the hard drive, CD-Rom, graphics card.) I have it set to where my CD-Rom is the first thing plugged in, then my Hard drive, then my graphics card.

I have a ECS P4VMM2 1.0 mother board. It has an AGP 4x connector slot instead of an 8x. Besides that I'm at a loss. Any help is much appreciated.

Edited by Jmoss1994, 11 January 2010 - 09:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:16 AM

did you plug in the power? that card requires a 6 pin (often called a PCI express power cable) power cable running straight from the power supply or it will not work. if you do have it plugged in, then its possible the voltage the video card (it still draws some power from the motherboard) does not match the power being supplied from the motherboard.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Jmoss1994

Jmoss1994
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:53 AM

Yeah its plugged in and I can feel the fan blowing. How would I go to change the voltage to get the card to work?

Its actually got a 4 pin power supply, like the back of a Hard Drive.

Edited by Jmoss1994, 12 January 2010 - 04:06 PM.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:04 PM

4 pin molex? exactly what is the model of your video card because the only Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4650 AGP 1GB I can find requires a 6 pin power connector, not a 4 pin molex. Also, only certain AGP 8x cards are backwards compatible due to the signaling voltage. The cards that are backwards compatible are made to recognize signal voltage of both 4x and 8x slots, if the card does not have this, then the only way to correct it would be overclocking the 4x slot, that however, will most likely result in damaging both the slot but the video card and is not recomended, nor likely to work. To give you a good answer as to whether or not your card is backwards compatible or not I need the exact model number of the card.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:10 PM

Did you change the BIOS setting to use the AGP for the primary video device?
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#6 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:32 AM

@the_patriot09

The Gigabyte HD4650 1GB AGP card only requires a 4-pin power connector.

Take a look: http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manu...465d2-1gi_e.pdf

@Jmoss1994

Please go through this and let us know:

The following troubleshooting tips may help if you experience problems.
Contact your dealer or
GIGABYTE for more advanced troubleshooting information.

* Check that the card is seated properly in the AGP 8x slot.
* Ensure that the display cable is securely fastened to the card's display connector.
* Make sure that the monitor and computer are plugged in and receiving power.
* If necessary, disable any built-in graphics capabilities on your motherboard. For more
information, consult your computer's manual or manufacturer.
(NOTE: Some manufacturers do not allow the built-in graphics to be disabled or to become the
secondary display.)
* Make sure you selected the appropriate display device and graphics card when you install
the graphics driver.
* Restart your computer.
Press <F8> on your keyboard after system starts up. When the Windows Advanced Options
Menu appears, select Safe Mode and press <Enter>.
After getting into Safe Mode, in Device Manager check whether the driver for the graphics card
is correct.
* For more assistance, use the Troubleshooting Guide located in the Windows Help or contact
your computer manufacturer.
If necessary, adjust your monitor's setting using monitor's adjust panel to make the screen
look focused, crisp, and sharp. (Please refer to the monitor's manual.)

Edited by ReviverSoft, 13 January 2010 - 12:34 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

thankyou for that revivor the only card i could find was this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...650%20AGP%201GB which indicated that it had a 6pin, you just helped clear up my confusion.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users