Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving to a new computer, any reccomendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xun468

Xun468

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Im moving to a new computer soon, and i will have malwarebytes/superantispyware for the scanning, and I'm wondering about a good real time antivirus. I'm a heavy gamer, and i would like a program that will not eatup 50%cpu when I'm playing/starting up causing horrible lag. Ive also heard about firewalls? Im not sure what they are are they important? If so, what would you people suggest? The new computer is going to be a windows XP and has 4cores and thats just about all i know about it haha...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:48 AM

avast! antivirus is free, lightweight and works good.
Some commercial antivirus solutions also come specially for gamers called "gamer edition".

Firewalls protects you from hackers, botnets etc to break into your computer. It also controls which application should access internet and so may help protect from trojans and malware. You can try free firewalls. A good firewall is agnitum free firewall which is lightweight and okay for gamers.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:12 PM

Here is one scenario:
one antivirus: Avast free home edition is a good free one.. Avast installation guide and Avast User Manual

one firewall: Outpost Free firewall Outpost documentation can be found here

Spyware: malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware keep updated and run as ondemand scanners

Hosts file: Add a Host file to block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, web bugs, and hijackers.

Other helpful information at these threads:
Understanding and Using Firewalls
How Firewalls Work
Best Practices Internet Safety
How Did I Get Infected

Edited by tork, 12 January 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

Personally, I would recommend using either Avira AntiVir Free/Personal edition or avast! for an antivirus program, just be sure that you only have 1 anti-virus program installed on your machine

For a firewall I would recommend Comodo, please note that the Comodo firewall installation also includes an Anti-virus program, if you decide to choose another anti-virus (not Comodo), then please be sure to only install the firewall, you will be prompted during installation if you want to install just the firewall, or the firewall and the anti-virus.

The on-demand anti-malware scanners I recommend are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SUPERAnti-Spyware.

For additional protection, SpywareBlaster is a great program to protect you from visiting malicious sites, and blocking tracking cookies. Note that SpywareBlaster isn't an actively running program. You download it, run it once, and then make sure you update it every week or 2 and you will always be protected. It works by modifying your HOSTS file and tweaking some IE and Firefox settings to block tracking cookies and provide additional protection.

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

Comodo Firewall is heavy for gamers who would love to have free CPU and RAM.

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Comodo Firewall is heavy for gamers who would love to have free CPU and RAM.

It doesn't seem to run too heavy on my system, I run a very old (6+years) Dell o.O and I don't notice a slowdown. RAM print seems to be about 10MB and 0% CPU.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users