Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What wireless router should I buy - comcast high speed internet

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:21 PM

I'm switching to comcast high speed internet with power bost. 15 Mbps download and uploads up to 3 Mbps.
I want t experince all of the speed from it since im switching from 1mbps dsl.

I'm looking into finding an N wireless router. good size home with many walls. Maybe 2-3 laptops working at the same time and 3 desktops on at the same time also total of 5-6 computers at the same time. I just need a good wireless router for watching movies online, demanding online games ect. Any ideas?

What do you think about the Linksys WRT160N? It's on sale at a store near me with only one left

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 11 January 2010 - 07:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

I bought a Linksys 160N it has done well my house is not to big but I can go out in my yard on a nice and have very reception, from what I have read they Range Plus is even better. But like anything else do your home work more input will come.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

The reviews of the WRT160N don't seem too promising. link

#4 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

I bought a Linksys 160N it has done well my house is not to big but I can go out in my yard on a nice and have very reception, from what I have read they Range Plus is even better. But like anything else do your home work more input will come.

Phil

Is it pretty quick? My cousins have Comcast right now and its super fast compared to DSL, I dont want to get it then be slow because of the wireless router they don't have wireless, I know wireless will be slower then wired but I still want to be quick. :-p

The problem is a lot of people don't know how to set up technology and the people at bestbuy like to sell it to them
Lots of other people say its good, but I wanted to hear from some people that know about it or own one and know a little bit about technology to see what they think

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 11 January 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:13 PM

All I can is I have had very good luck with mine and have good range, I checked your link and took the time to look a several pages there were quite few that rated it very well. I bought mine October of last year to replace my WRT54 the speed gain was significant and have not had one single glitch since. If I needed more range I would have gone up a model or two, but this beat the heck out of my 54 so I am very happy.

A better choice for you may be: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dgl...2.html?tag=also

Here are a ton of reviews that should help: http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0-1.html?...;tag=mncol;page

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wr...html#cnetReview

Edited by OldPhil, 11 January 2010 - 11:07 PM.

#6 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:25 PM

All I can is I have had very good luck with mine and have good range, I checked your link and took the time to look a several pages there were quite few that rated it very well. I bought mine October of last year to replace my WRT54 the speed gain was significant and have not had one single glitch since. If I needed more range I would have gone up a model or two, but this beat the heck out of my 54 so I am very happy.

A better choice for you may be: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/d-link-dgl...7-31229951.html

Here are a ton of reviews that should help: http://reviews.cnet.com/1770-5_7-0-1.html?...;tag=mncol;page

http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/linksys-wr...html#cnetReview

The link you provided me with is for a non wireless router.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

Sorry fixed the link!

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:53 AM

I have Comcast. I have had Linksys, Belkin and D-Link routers none of them affected the speeds I get from Comcast(consistent 12 - 17 Mbit/s). Of those I like Belkin, with a new firmware upgrade. But if you are worried about speed and wireless then you need to go with all N technology. One brand is not going to be significantly faster or better than the other. Most are going to have features that you'll never use but you'll pay for, so if you have no need for VPN or VoIP then look for routers without those features. If you are looking for a good, reliable and basic router then look for the cheapest one made by a major brand and go up one level, that will be your router.

Reading reviews from people isn't the best gauge in my book. You have no reference of their level of intelligence when it comes to computers and networking. Granted with today's routers and PC setups its fairly easy to do, run some CD or DVD and follow the instructions like a trained monkey and it should work. The problem comes in when something doesn't go right and they are at a loss as to what the issue is and they blame the wrong thing(ie the box that is doing only what they told it to). But that's my opinion.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:48 AM

Comcast internet, Linksys WRT160, no problems with it.

When you get hooked up with Comcast:

Check out the Comcast Help Forums. Those forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, and CDV.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't. . If neccessary, a forum admin can be notified of your post and will do his/her best to help you resolve the issue. It's mainly customers helping other customers and the majority of us are dedicated to helping with issues.

Click the link below, you'll be sent to the sign in page. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken to the actual forums.

http://forums.comcast.net/comcastsupport/

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 January 2010 - 10:31 AM.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:24 AM

I use Comcast with the Linksys wireless WRT400N. If you use you wireless all the time this is the way to go. Dual band N is faster and will get you a little more range from the dual antenna.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users