Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer build.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pleurebleu

pleurebleu

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

Some of you might remember my last topic in which I got help on building a high-end gaming desktop (which is still working thank god!).
I now am in another category; I would like to offer a desktop to my mother and I have a budget of about 600$, including the monitor keyboard and mouse.

I come to you in search of help and suggestions on the build.

The computer will be used mainly for web browsing and video visioning. For that amount I do not expect a computer that could run the latest game but I was hoping that it would be fit for old games so that my little brother can use it casually.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

$600 is cutting it very, very close. $700 is more reasonable, especially for a monitor and all the peripherals.

Case: NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series CS-NT-BETA-EVO - I got this since it is a simple mid tower with free shipping. $59 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Motherboard: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - A solid board that uses AM3 CPU's, DDR3 RAM, and Crossfire. I chose this because it has on-board graphics which means you do not need to purchase a dedicated GPU to run the PC. $91

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz - If there wasn't a tight budget, I would suggest one of the Phenom II's, but the Athlon II will work well for your application. $67

Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W - Since you're not running a powerful GPU on this system, a simple power supply is all that is needed. This can easily handle the power requirements, but is also powerful enough to handle a GPU should you choose to install one. $36 (Before $12 mail-in rebate)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - More than enough RAM for most users. $92

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD5000AADS 500GB 32MB Cache SATA - Plenty of space. $54

Keyboard: Microsoft Comfort Curve Black 105 Normal Keys 9 Function Keys USB Wired Ergonomic Keyboard 2000 - A simple, basic keyboard. $13

Monitor: ASUS VW198T Black 19" - Asus makes some very good monitors. This one also comes with speakers built in, though, audiophiles won't use them. $119

Mouse: Microsoft Laser Mouse 6000 - v1.0 - I usually use either Microsoft or Logitech mice and this is a good one. $29

Optical Drive: LG 22X DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model GH22LS50 LightScribe Support - You need a basic drive. This one can read and write to most optical media. $28

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit OS to use 4GB or more of RAM. $104

Grand Total: $701 (Before Rebates and Shipping)

3939.png

#3 pleurebleu

pleurebleu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 05 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I was looking through my post history...

I' m sorry I never even replied to you! Thanks a lot for the efforts you put into it, I ended up using your suggestions as a base for my choices!

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users