Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can win 7 upgrade be used twice? help with oems

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kakorot

kakorot

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:02 PM

ok well im bought a new hard drive but i have yet to get anything else i have used the windows 7 upgrade on my previous hard drive already im not sure what to do at this point i was going to buy a windows 7 oem for my new hard drive but i guess you cant use it on more then one pc because it locks to the motherboard or something i really am confused at what i should do right now any ideas?...

also i was looking for any other solution such as buying a full version of xp and installing it on my new hard drive.. but i cant find anything but oems

edit: let me put it this way say i have a brand new hard drive and needed to install a os on a computer thats not newly built could i use anything besides the full retail version of windows 7 which is like 300

Edited by kakorot, 11 January 2010 - 05:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:44 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Vista-Ultima...9625&sr=1-4
could this work on a brand new hard drive? i need to know asap..

Edited by kakorot, 11 January 2010 - 05:47 PM.

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:51 PM

Okay, if you're asking if you can use upgrade media for a clean install, the answer is yes.

There are some caveats, though.

"While you can't simply use Upgrade media to do a clean install of Windows 7 on a new or previously formatted PC, the workarounds this time are easier than ever."

"But here's the paradox. While anyone with a valid, licensed copy of Windows XP or Vista qualifies for any Upgrade version of Windows 7--and by the way, that's pretty much every single PC user on earth--only Vista users can do an in-place upgrade, which is the install type for which Upgrade media is optimized."

So basically, yes, you have to buy the full retail version to put on a new, empty hard drive. Unless, that is, you have a valid, licensed copy of XP or Vista to put on there first (therefore making you eligible for an upgrade because you've already paid for the old OS and the new upgrade OS, which adds up to about how much you would pay for a full version of Win7).

Did that make sense?

Edited by keyboardNinja, 11 January 2010 - 05:52 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#4 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

kinda confusing i did find my windows vista recovery disk and im thinking i could use that to install windows vista onto my new hard drive? would that work

#5 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

im sorry im just so confused as to what steps i should take next

maby if i explain more it will make more sence

alright so i got rid of my old hard drive on my desktop and orderd a new 1

which meens no os what i have is a windows vista recovery and a windows 7 upgrade i used the upgrade once im not sure if theres a limit to how many times you can use it

as posted above i found a windows vista sp1 for like 129 now im not sure if that would work or not? would it? would i just insert the disk and turn on my pc and try to boot the disk and install windows vista on the new hard drive i have? then re upgrade it with my windows 7 upgrade? thats the only idea i have in my mind of what to do

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Sorry, I will try to explain better.

Is the "recovery disk" an actual full operating system, just a recovery disk, or does it say: "Reinstallation DVD....This software is already installed on your computer. Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system...." ?

As long as it isn't a recovery-only disk, yes, you could install it (Vista) on the new hard drive, then do an upgrade to 7. However, there is another caveat here: you only had one product key for the upgrade disk (which you said you used), meaning you can't do it again (upgrade) without purchasing a new upgrade product key. So even if you bought the $129 Vista (or just used your current disk, provided it has the full os on it), you wouldn't be able to use your upgrade disk again without buying another product key for it, as well.

Did that make sense?

Here is the first route you could take:

Use your current Vista disk, and try to install it on the new hard drive. Then, go purchase another UPGRADE key to upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 (I would suggest you use the upgrade media to do a clean install, which I gave a link to in my last post). All that matters is the product key, anyway. That should work. If you get any activation errors, just do the activation by phone (takes about 6 minutes), and everything should be fine.

If that doesn't work for some reason, the simplest thing to do would be to just buy a full retail copy of Windows 7 and install it. That is the easiest, but most expensive route to take. So, if you want to save yourself some time and effort, just go buy a full retail copy. But if you feel adventurous, try the install>upgrade procedure.

If I didn't make sense again, point out exactly what you didn't understand and what you don't understand about it, and I will explain that part further. :huh:

#7 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:32 PM

ok my disk says microsoft windows vista ultimate x64 system recoveryDVD

i searched something on it and suposedly it does install windows vista... i guess i will try it out if anything.. if not i will buy the full version of win 7 i guess... :\ meh

oh yeah and oems dont work correct? thats one thing i didnt really get answered yet

#8 kakorot

kakorot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:41 PM

never mind guys i guess you can contact microsoft to get your key reactivated

#9 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:29 PM

oh yeah and oems dont work correct? thats one thing i didnt really get answered yet

What do you mean? Are you talking about product keys or install disks? OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer. RTM stands for release to manufacturing. Then there are retail copies (what you would buy in a store).....

#10 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:47 AM

ok well im bought a new hard drive but i have yet to get anything else i have used the windows 7 upgrade on my previous hard drive already im not sure what to do at this point i was going to buy a windows 7 oem for my new hard drive but i guess you cant use it on more then one pc because it locks to the motherboard or something i really am confused at what i should do right now any ideas?...

also i was looking for any other solution such as buying a full version of xp and installing it on my new hard drive.. but i cant find anything but oems

edit: let me put it this way say i have a brand new hard drive and needed to install a os on a computer thats not newly built could i use anything besides the full retail version of windows 7 which is like 300

If your installing a new hard drive in your old computer that had a previous version of windows/XP/vista that you up/graded to windows7,yes you can use your up/grade again,but if you want to use your up/grade on a different computer then no you can't use it again,cheers

Edited by sleepwalker, 12 January 2010 - 02:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users