Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imac spyware?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 grandunion23

grandunion23

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:34 PM

Hi I have just brought my first ever Imac :blink: I was told at the shop that Imacs do not suffer from viruses spyware or adware and because of this I don`t need any removal tools :wacko: Is this correct? Im guessing not .

Many thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:54 AM

yes to an extent. It is true that macs do not suffer near as bad from viruses and malware as windows does, the macintosh OS is far more secure, though not invinincible. On the rare occasion someone gets a virus but it is rare. Im not even aware of any good mac anti virus software off the top of my head, id almost be tempted to wait until i had a problem b4 spendng any money.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 grandunion23

grandunion23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

yes to an extent. It is true that macs do not suffer near as bad from viruses and malware as windows does, the macintosh OS is far more secure, though not invinincible. On the rare occasion someone gets a virus but it is rare. Im not even aware of any good mac anti virus software off the top of my head, id almost be tempted to wait until i had a problem b4 spendng any money.

Thanks Ill wait lets hope forever

#4 gduv

gduv

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:00 PM

"Macintosh" OSs are not invincible but are a different structure than Windows.
Although firewall software is included in OS software and is pretty good, I would recommend third-party security software ( ClamXAV, Water Roof firewall, a couple titles that come to mind ) that is just as good but will block "phone-home" modules that send your private info to whomever.
Macs are pretty safe from intrusion but are still just a machine and a printer.
Much health and happiness to you and yours.

Apple IBook/ OS X 10.2.8/ Camino 1.03/I-Cab/Safari 1.03/
and a Frog in a Tuxedo

7450 I-Mac, G4/ 1.2 ghrz/1.5gb RAM/ single core/OS X 10.5.8/ Camino/ Neo Office/Seashore/ Bean/ Java update

#5 Kyle B

Kyle B

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

By far, the best way to stay safe is to apply your real-life common sense habits to your online life: don't open random, unknown mail, don't rely on questionable sources for software, etc.

#6 B_o_b_o

B_o_b_o

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 30 March 2010 - 03:19 PM

I've got a couple of macs with nothing on either machine..OS X is one tough nut to crack

#7 Marusa

Marusa

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 25 June 2010 - 10:23 AM

I can recommend you to use firewall. For example ProteMac NetMine. It is good one.

#8 bailey2007player

bailey2007player

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:28 PM

:blink: no one uses Virus Barrier?? (best mac antivirus)

#9 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 05:33 PM

No most mac users like me dont use an "mac" anti virus 1. because it costs money 2. you dont need one if you browse safely and know when not to let some thing install 3. because it just slows down the machine. :blink:

part of the reasons macs dont/ are not affected as much as PC's is there are less of them out there than PC's there for you can infect 20,000 PC's but then you can only infect 4,000 macs. Although there are some nasty ones out there. :wacko:

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

I did for a while. The whole time I used it it didn't detect anything, not one thing. For the amount of money Intego charges for it and it's yearly subscriptions, I concluded that it and any other Mac AV is just a waste of money and system resources.

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 02 September 2010 - 07:47 PM

I too used it for a short time all it detected was a WINDOWS trojan that was it and it was in a music file I had from my friend. :wacko: :blink:

Edited by computerxpds, 02 September 2010 - 07:48 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#12 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2010 - 09:01 PM

Better than iAntivirus which you also said on the same date in another thread was the best?

"I Found that iAntivirus by PC Tools is the best mac antivirus out here"

Edited by Twin B, 21 September 2010 - 09:04 PM.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

#13 dodes

dodes

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Yes, I recommended you install Mac antivirus software. I use Intego Internet Security Barrier x6 and have no problems with it. It is a little pricy, but for me personally, the peace of mind is worth the extra cost. The Mac security situation can only grow worse from here.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/10/new-java-trojan-attacks-mac-os-x-via-social-networking-sites.ars

The other posters in this topic have very good points. Browse safely and be wary of any suspicious looking emails, web pages, and the like. It's critical to be able to spot such threats, with the growing number of social-engineered and phishing attacks out there.

Edited by dodes, 30 October 2010 - 04:14 PM.

Windows 7 Pro x64
Biostar TH55B-HD
WD Corsair Black 500GB | Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
G-Skill 2x2GB 1066 DDR3 SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GT 240

#14 compuguard

compuguard

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 29 November 2010 - 11:22 PM

Macs CAN actually get viruses, but rarely. So just in case, I reccomend getting antivirus like norton or AVG.

#15 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm using MacScan and it located and isolated a keylogger spyware item on my machine. Here's a link:

http://macscan.securemac.com/

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users