Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows update unable to check for updates.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

I'm a computer tech here in KS. I've been working on a customers laptop since I came in this morning, and this problem is driving me mad. In the past I've rendered good results from support at bleepingcomputers, and hope the same in this situation.

Basically, this customers laptop refuses to allow updates. Any microsoft KB article related to this problem I have done, and redone, as well as various suggestions on the net. I just recently tried reseting the update system, and BITS, with no luck because now when I try to re enable update and bits through cmd as administrator, I now get an access denied return.

Like I said, I've tried everything short of reinstalling (we make it a policy to stray from reformats or re-installs); I can't even do an upgrade in any timely fasion because as usual, the customer forgot to bring their disk while they are running vista x64, and I just have the 32 bit disk. I've heard repair via upgrade works, but that isn't an option.

So I need to get rid of the access is denied, and see if any of my efforts have paid off which I highly doubt.

Thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:02 PM

I'm a computer tech here in KS. I've been working on a customers laptop since I came in this morning, and this problem is driving me mad. In the past I've rendered good results from support at bleepingcomputers, and hope the same in this situation.

Basically, this customers laptop refuses to allow updates. Any microsoft KB article related to this problem I have done, and redone, as well as various suggestions on the net. I just recently tried reseting the update system, and BITS, with no luck because now when I try to re enable update and bits through cmd as administrator, I now get an access denied return.

Like I said, I've tried everything short of reinstalling (we make it a policy to stray from reformats or re-installs); I can't even do an upgrade in any timely fasion because as usual, the customer forgot to bring their disk while they are running vista x64, and I just have the 32 bit disk. I've heard repair via upgrade works, but that isn't an option.

So I need to get rid of the access is denied, and see if any of my efforts have paid off which I highly doubt.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Two ideas come to mind:

:huh: See if there is a registry error in the registry under the Windows Update. Although it shows you how to tweak the registry, it gives you some places to look and try different things out!!!

:huh: You can always try Offline Update, It is a great tool to update windows offline!! You can try to update this way without being on the net and see what happens. It is also wise idea to try to do the update in Safemode just in case this system has malware who is trying to prevent the updates!!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

The registry is seemingly fine, and I've already scanned for malware, I did pick a few things up, nothing major though. I would offline update, only problem is the whole reason we have this laptop in is to fix windows update...so basically your sollutions are my free fix for work today :huh:

Edited by jimtheratdigriz, 11 January 2010 - 03:07 PM.

#4 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:48 PM

The registry is seemingly fine, and I've already scanned for malware, I did pick a few things up, nothing major though. I would offline update, only problem is the whole reason we have this laptop in is to fix windows update...so basically your sollutions are my free fix for work today :huh:

Actually i was suggesting Offline update to see if you can fix the online update. Might be a hot fix that hasn't been applied. This would at least tell you if it could of been a update problem in the first place!!!

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#5 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:54 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. This machine is vista sp1, so I did try the standalone to sp2, and what do you know? It failed due to an unknown error, as do pretty much any other standalone updates.

Also, now that I get an access denied error, there is no way to re-enable updates to see if a hotfix worked even after I get offline updates.

Edited by jimtheratdigriz, 11 January 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#6 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:12 PM

Yeah, I hear ya. This machine is vista sp1, so I did try the standalone to sp2, and what do you know? It failed due to an unknown error, as do pretty much any other standalone updates.

Also, now that I get an access denied error, there is no way to re-enable updates to see if a hotfix worked even after I get offline updates.

Have you tried this solution:

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...licy-setti.aspx

Just a thought!!

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#7 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:17 PM

Yes sir, and to no avail :huh:

Like I said, driving me mad.