Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to by a new HDD...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 urbanninja

urbanninja

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:31 PM

I have a 2.5" SATA-150 HDD [5400 rpm w/a 2MB cache] by Western Digital in my laptop. It is having some mechanical problems, so I need to buy a new one. Are there any compatibility factors that I should know about other than the 2.5" size and SATA interface? I mean, would a SATA-300 work? Or something with a faster transfer rate?

Edited by urbanninja, 11 January 2010 - 03:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:43 PM

You could possibly install a SATA-II 300 drive in your computer but it is unlikely you will see any performance difference. The rating for SATA-150 and SATA-300 refer to the burst rate at which data can be pushed across the SATA bus.

If your computer is only rated for a SATA-150 drive, your computer can only go that fast.

A SATA drive may physically fit in your laptop and may work, but the SATA bus speed will only be run at the rating of the controller on the motherboard.

The only other thing you can look for is a drive with a lower seek time and possibly a higher spindle speed with a SATA-150 connection. This may allow you to get some more "speed" from your machine.

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#3 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:59 PM

Right now I'm not too worried about getting better performance, I just don't want to buy one and find out that even though it fits, it isn't compatible for some reason. I'm currently using a 4GB flash drive running Puppy Linux, so this'll do for now, but when I want to use Windows 7 again, I will be looking for an inexpensive HDD (minimum 60GB) that is compatible. So, I guess I will just try to find one that has the same exact specs, tho this may be hard because it seems the broken hard disc drive that I own is no longer being produced.

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

What Model WD hard drive do you have?

Most any 2.5" SATA 150 drive should be just fine no matter what size in GB it is.
Techextreme

-- Seneca

#5 urbanninja

urbanninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

This one.
I found this one via google for under $40 so I may just get this one.. Thanks for the help man :thumbsup:

Edited by urbanninja, 11 January 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#6 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:49 PM

This would work just fine in it's place.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136071

Hope this helps,
Techextreme

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users