Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with new router and laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Caster202020

Caster202020

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:08 PM

So my dad recently purchased a new router and laptop and we are trying to connect them with wireless to no success.

The laptop is running Windows 7 and has a Intel wifi link 1000 bgn. The router is a D-Link (Dir-601).

So far the only time they connect is when the laptop is in my room and close to the router, and even when the laptop is right beside the router the best signal strength I get is around 10%.... Ive looked into getting a usb adapter, but for his room only being maybe 24 ft away it seems silly.

Thoughts/ Suggestions ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:38 PM

Can you log onto the router? Look into the manual for the address and password. Are the router and the laptop using the same channel? Make sure they are using N only as the laptop does b and g also which can slow you down. Make sure the router is away from other wireless devices like phones and high output devices like lights. like
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

In the case of N wireless protocol. Outside interference from cordless phones, certain types of lighting, etc. should have little affect. Most household items that may cause interference on G = 2.4 GHz will not cause problems on N since it uses both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Checking the the channel on both the PC and D-Link is a good idea.

One other thought is are you sure it is your wireless router you are seeing and not perhaps a neighbors?

#4 Caster202020

Caster202020
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Only N setting seems to boost some signal strength but not enough to connect in the other room. The only thing the router is close to is the monitor which shouldn't affect it.

I set up a unique SSID as well so it shouldn't be that i am seeing another one.

Edited by Caster202020, 11 January 2010 - 02:38 PM.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:18 PM

Looked at your adapter and router. Adapter is theorectical capable of 300 Mbps, Router is capable of 150Mbps. So your speed is already cut in half by buying a router slower than your adapter.

ALL wireless devices are severly impeded by RF noise including N so phones, monitors, ect are not good things to have right next to the router. Don't believe me read your manual page 7. This router works in the 2.4Ghz range only also.

I would also double check that the laptop doesn't have any revised drivers for the adapter.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users