Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings from the heart of the Blassgrass

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jokester

Jokester

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:07 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm new to support forums, so feel free to input if I make any mistakes. I have had a long history working with computers, back before there was anything considered a PC. I find the though I've had experience on mainframe and mini computers, the PC is one of the most perplexing of any I've dealt with due to its inconsistencies. Unlike mainframe and minis, where the manufacturer of the hardware wrote the software, the PC works on "canned" software, where the hardware is "compatible" at best.

Thus we find ourselves here, where we come to discuss and hopefully resolve problems with the technology in our lives. I had exposure to Personal Computers shortly after their introduction in 1981, but didn't own my own until 1991. I have no problem with the hardware, but like many the software and the issues with it can cause much frustration at times.

I know my way around the inside pretty well. I still have issues with the virtual and and the insidious attacks that are an everyday occurrence to many of us, and our obvious short comings with dealings with them on our own. I am currently dealing with browser redirection issues on my home PC. I am also amazed at how smart and intelligent these folks are who have taken to the "dark side" of society. If they used their skills for the good of society, I wonder how much more of the world's problems would be solved. Instead their efforts cause many man-hours to be lost or wasted, and data to be corrupted and destroyed.

But with most things I've discovered in life, there is a silver lining, be it thin at times. If not for them, we would not be meeting here. The good folks running this website would have to find other work. The software companies would be fewer and jobs be lost, because someone has to undo their mischief. There are more, if you think about it a little. :flowers:

So though I have a lot of experience, I know that there are many out there much more knowledgeable about all this technology we are wrapped in. So I hope to be as much of a contributor to the forum, as I'm sure many of you have been. Happy New Year! May the power that be not piddle on your PC! :thumbsup:

Jokester

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:38 PM

Hello Jokester and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Please take the time, to browse the New User Orientation forum, to help familiarize yourself with how the board works.

Also, don't forget to check out the Tutorials.
There's a lot of very useful information, in there.

Edited by garmanma, 11 January 2010 - 03:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users