Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"LAN cable unplugged" message

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 canam

canam

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:17 PM

We have cable modem with a router. I was using the internet and then got the error message "local area network cable unplugged" I got kicked out of the internet and haven't been able to get on again. The cable works on another computer. The manufacturer of the computer technical help chat walked me through checking the computer. All is "pass". She said I must have some kind of worm, or virus and will have to wipe out everything on the computer and re-install windows xp. Does anyone know if this would be some kind of malware? If so, is there anything I can buy to try to fix it? I cannot get on the internet on that computer and cannot download anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 07:31 PM

something quick, go into your device manager right click on "my computer">properties>device manager> expand network adapters(+) make sure it is not disabled or another mark beside it (?/!).
let me know
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 canam

canam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:13 PM

Snapper
Thanks but there are no marks or anything beside the broadcom in the device manager. Any other ideas?

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:17 PM

boot into "safe mode with networking" (providing you have winxp ), try to get into it this way, this will narrow it down a bit. you may want to try running a "winsocket" fix, if nothing is bad it will not hurt anything.
get it here
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

let me know how that worked

#5 canam

canam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 06:44 PM

How can I do that when I cannot get into the internet on that computer?

#6 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 07:57 PM

if you can read this, you can get on the net yes? lol. go to that web site, dl that small app, burn to disc, flash drive, span it over the network. copy it to the desktop and run it.
first, did you try accessing the net in safe mode? you may be able to do this with "safe mode with networking". IF, you don't use a PPPOE account.
let me know

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:08 PM

canam,

You could download the "winsocket fix" file to the computer that you posted your "how can I do that" reply with. Then install it to the computer you are having the problem with.

One other thing to check is the possibility of a bad cable/s from the router to your NIC. They are not indestructible. Since you have a router try swapping cables with the other device on the router, and see if the trouble follows. The easiest and cheapest way, would be to buy a new one and swap out your existing cable, with the one you might suspect. If you have a cable tester you could test it. If you don't own or have access to a tester. One possible option would be to take the cable to a local computer shop and see if they have a cable tester.

Be (RJ45) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 canam

canam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 05:42 PM

thanks both of you.

Animal:
The cable works fine on another computer so I do not think it is the cable.
If I download winsocket fix to this computer, can it be saved to a cdrw disc, if not, how to I install it to my computer?

#9 canam

canam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:14 PM

I downloaded it to this computer and copied it then ran it from the cd on my computer but I still have the cable unplugged message and cannot get into the Internet on that computer. Any other ideas?

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:24 AM

On the NIC are the green indicator light on? If not you could need to reinstall your NIC drivers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 canam

canam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:42 PM

the lights are on and I can use the cable fine on another computer and get into the internet, just not on my computer.

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:52 PM

Can you give us some info on this computer? What is the operating system? What is the make and model of the router?

In Device Manager, click the + sign beside Network Adapter and tell us what it says there. In Control Panel, double click Network Properties and tell us what is listed there.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#13 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:47 PM

rip out your tcp/ip protocols, and reinstall them. do this here>control panel>add/remove programs>windows components. select tcp/ip suite here, remove them, reboot re-install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users