Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe Boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bikemurns

bikemurns

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:44 PM

I have been having virus/malware issues. I downloaded spybot search and destroy to scan the computer as mcafee doesn't seem to be taking care of the trojans it detects.

I read somewhere to run the scan in safe mode so malware wouldn't be able to protect itself. When i pressed F8 and attempted to start windows in safe mode, the computer just shut off and started with the standard screen that pops up when windows doesn't shut down normally.

So I ran msconfig and check the "SAFEBOOT" option. Now, windows attempts to boot in safe mode, shuts down, and returns me to the standard screen you're brought to when then computer doesn't shut down normally. the catch being that when i attempt to start windows normally, the screen goes blue very quickly and just shuts down. So it seems my computer is in an endless cycle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:03 PM

Malware is a common cause of safe boot not working, as well as normal boot. To avoid viruses reinstalling themselves, you can disable system restore. Chances are your boot.ini is altered. Try running /sfc scannow, you may need your OS disk.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:52 PM

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Scroll down to the section "Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode using the System Configuration Utility".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 bikemurns

bikemurns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:43 AM

Thank you very much for your help. I will attempt to fix this problem once I locate the Windows XP disk. I believe it is in storage. I will post again with the results.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:23 PM

I strongly suggest, you travel to malware section and you run prescribed steps.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

If you cannot find your XP CD you can create your own Recovery Console disk:

How to Create a Bootable XP Recovery Console CD
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users