Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking question

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 KISNA

KISNA

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:39 PM

Sorry guys I had no idea which forum to place this thread in.

I have a desktop with 98SE and a laptop with XP. I never have had a broadbend and now I am ready to order one. The one I am considering, SBC yahoo DSL, has a downstream of 1.5 to 3.0 Mbps and upstream of 384 to 512 Kbps.

1) There are 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g routers and now pre-N from what I understand. Which one should I get and which brand is good ?

2) I am guessing I need a router and an adapter (for notebook). Do they have to be paired by same manufacturer ? Does it work better if it's same manufacturer ?

3) I plan to use laptop atleast about 150 feet away from desktop on a different level in my house, with few walls in between. How does this impact which one I get ? Do I need something like a booster ?

4) I read the term "bridge" somewhere. What is that ? Do I need it ?

5) Also read "access point" when looking around. What is that ? Do I need that ?

Sorry for bunch of questions. I am really new at this.

Thanks in advance.

(moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 22 August 2005 - 09:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:30 PM

Thanks. Hopefully someone will reply. I really need to do this. I am pulling my hair out on dial-up. Ugh...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 02:07 AM

First pick out the ISP you are going with. I know here in Baton Rouge BellSouth send you a self install pack that is fairly straight forward. Several DSL provider give you a wireless modem/router (ie. Bellsouth). The only thing you would need to buy is a wireless card for your notebook. And some providers may give you one. The router/modem will have a place to wire in your desktop. I know in my in-laws case they told BellSouth they had 3 computers and they sent them 3 NIC (network interface card). You desktop may have one already. The reason I recommend the wire solution for your desktop is it will be close to a teleco jack and it will be much cheaper than a wifi card. You may get away with a couple of feet depending where your wall jack is. If you have Cox HSI available ask them about their "Value Pack High Speed Internet" . It is not advertise but you get 256/256 and if you are not web hosting or downloading several computers all the time it will be plenty fast and save you some money. $24.99 for 256/256 vs $39.95 for DSL and up. Some area offer DSL Lite for about $30 for 128/256. Ask before you get into a contract.
Call around and ask what the provider is going to give you to get connected, as far as equipment.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:27 PM

Is this router any good ?

#5 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:30 PM

Thinking about ordering SBC Yahoo! DSL Pro Package $24.95/mo

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:26 AM

That maybe a good choice for you. I know over 2 dozen persons that have cable or DSL at 256/256 or 128. They all are very happy with it. If you are only run one or two computers and not trying to host a web site from the house you should be well please with the results.
Have you checked to see what of equipment they provide, if any? Be sure and let them know you will need a wireless router.

#7 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for your reply. SBC website syas following is what I will get for $129 or so,

The Wireless Home Networking Bundle for laptops contains all required equipment including:

A Wireless DSL gateway for laptops with a built-in ADSL modem
An Installation software CD and Installation Guide with step-by-step instructions
One wireless PCMCIA adapter card for laptops. This card enables your laptop for wireless connectivity to the gateway and Internet at home or office. The card with your laptop can also be used in conjunction with a wireless Hot Spot service for wireless connectivity to the Internet away from home or the office
Equipment is a new or fully inspected, tested and warranted return unit
One filter pack containing: four in-line microfilters, one wall-mount filter and one two-way adapter (to be used only on jacks that will share the line with SBC Yahoo! DSL)
Cables to connect two computers directly to the HomePortal (one Ethernet, one USB) as well as the cords to set up your HomePortal
Security for every PC connected on your home or office network with a business-grade firewall
Toll-free customer support number you can call with questions

So it looks like it is wireless, am I right ? And also it looks like I don't have the option to go out and get say Linksys router because I have to buy SBC's package, right ?

Edited by KISNA, 25 August 2005 - 03:36 PM.

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:35 AM

You are right, 1) you will receive a wireless modem/router, and 2) you will need to use their router. You could configure it so that you could use your own but why. Check and see if the back of your desktop has a ethernet jack (RJ-45). It will look like the telephone plug on your modem only there will be only one and it will be slightly larger. If you don't have one you can pick up a PCI wired verison for $5 to $10 used or about $20 new. This is the route I have gone. Get the Telco guy to put the modem on the wall jack next to your desktop, where you plugged you dialup in. You can go wireless but that will run $40 to $80 depending on where and what brand you buy. The router they send you, I am sure, will have 4 or more wired ports.
One more thing. Make sure they do a speed test before leaving. I had a friend that had to have new wire run to where the modem was because the teleco wire was so bad. Not a big deal but if they come back out they may charge you.
If you are doing the install yourself disreguard the stuff about the teleco. If you find the speed low, run the wire yourself to the service box. That will save you $80+ on a service call, AND you can do it yourself. Don't let them bull poop you.
Have fun.

#9 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 04:46 PM

I have a dumb question.

I know 802.11g > b > a in terms of Mbps.........

....BUT the DSL service I am ordering has downstream of 1.5 to 3.0 Mbps and upstream of 384 to 512 Kbps, so why do I need a "g" router with speed of 54 Mbps ? :confused:

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 05:01 PM

There is more security built in with the G verse A or B. I have built my system with 10mbs compontants with no noticable hit in preformence. I download from about 3200kbs and upload from 375 to 540 depending on the time of day.
I personally don't use wifi but have setup several for family and friend. I would not worry to much about it, although I would go 802.11g if I were buying new.

EDIT: I would use ethernet verse USB. I don't care to much for univesral stuff. RJ-45 was designed for HSI.

Edited by acklan, 28 August 2005 - 05:04 PM.

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:05 PM

Free shipping
http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/netsol.html

#12 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:14 AM

kisna, to answer your speed question, you will be able to move files around your lan faster "wirelessly" if you have a "G" standard router compared to a "B". that is it as far as speed goes. "G" standard routers generally are a bit more advanced, however like acklan said, mostlt because anything that has come out latley is g standard.
you may as well go "G", then you will be able to cover both standards for it is backward compatible.
Google...Google.....browse..read

#13 KISNA

KISNA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thanks guys. Wonderful answers. What about pre-N ? Is it worth buying *now* ? As with anything technology changes rapidly and do you think "g" will be old say...um...tomorrow ?

#14 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 29 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

everything will be replaced eventually man. so just go out and get a linksys 802.11g router, do a firmware update, and you will have a nice solid router with a name like cisco behind it. it will do anything a SOHO LAN will need to do. you will not be disappointed.
good luck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#15 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2005 - 11:59 PM

Their latest version is linksys 802.11g w/ speedbooster v 2.0 (model # WRT54GS). Below is the link to linksys for your review of this product. It will cover your wi-fi needs and give you 4 wired ports as well. I set this up for a wi-fi network at a law firm and it works very well. The best adapter to use with desktops, for this product, is the usb (model # WUSB54GS w/ speedbooster). It comes with a long cord that will allow you 4 feet to adjust the location of the adapter. The range is excellent as well ~ even connecting buildings. But if you are going wired for now, follow "acklan" and use the ethernet connection instead of the usb adapter.

The broadband is through Knology and the speed with three computers online at once is 48-54 MBPS.

The new wireless N, with MIMO technology is a little ways off from being of use to you. If you can go with another provider other than SBC, I would. I have been told of much slower speed than what you should be getting for your money. I do not have this service, it was only what was reported to me.

Hope I didn't step in where I shouldn't have, just wanted to help!

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users