I have a desktop with 98SE and a laptop with XP. I never have had a broadbend and now I am ready to order one. The one I am considering, SBC yahoo DSL, has a downstream of 1.5 to 3.0 Mbps and upstream of 384 to 512 Kbps.
1) There are 802.11a, 802.11b and 802.11g routers and now pre-N from what I understand. Which one should I get and which brand is good ?
2) I am guessing I need a router and an adapter (for notebook). Do they have to be paired by same manufacturer ? Does it work better if it's same manufacturer ?
3) I plan to use laptop atleast about 150 feet away from desktop on a different level in my house, with few walls in between. How does this impact which one I get ? Do I need something like a booster ?
4) I read the term "bridge" somewhere. What is that ? Do I need it ?
5) Also read "access point" when looking around. What is that ? Do I need that ?
Sorry for bunch of questions. I am really new at this.
Thanks in advance.
(moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum. jgweed)
Edited by jgweed, 22 August 2005 - 09:10 PM.