Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Epson PX710W

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nunbean

nunbean

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

Hello

My friend has been having some trouble trying to install an Epson PX710W printer and I have been trying to help them but not having much success over the phone so I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me.

The printer installs fine on the first computer with Windows 7 installed on it. It has been installed using the CD that came with it going through the tutorial given.

But when it is installed onto a laptop with Windows Vista as the printer is being installed via the CD the computer loses the connection to the printer and then neither the laptop or the computer will work with the printer.

I have tried getting her to change the IP settings on the printer incase there was a conflict there but that does not seem to work.

The printer is being installed on both pc's via Wifi - they have a Netgear router.

If you need any more information let me know. I really would appreciate the help because I recommended this printer to her so feel a bit guilty.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shrdt

shrdt

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:35 PM

when it comes to doing installations over WiFi, I personally never trust it.

Even if the laptop is an inch away from the router, and an inch away from the printer,
Nothing beats good ol'fashioned hardwire connection.

Now durning most wireless printer setups, they ask you to first connect either the USB Cable to the PC, or an ethernet cable to the router

So my question is, what step in the CD setup does the connection drop?

Literally give me a step by step on what happens and I can better help...

so if, as an example, you go to PC 1 and install, and it' fine doing all the step on the CD
BUT then you do the exact samething, with the exact same hook up on the laptop, and it fails, killing both connections

there is something wrong with either the laptop, or the router...

what makes me so sure? :thumbsup: I've been doing setups like this for almost 10 yrs 6days a week 10hrs day

and never had the same problem twice (although some times it is a cable unplugged or the power not on, but I dont count that! lol )

#3 nunbean

nunbean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 06:01 AM

Hello again!

Right well I've been round there to have a look at it and still had no luck.

I'll tell you all the different things I tried.

I tried to install it with both the CD manually on windows inputting the IP address and I got the same results for both.

It installs fine on the computer when the laptop is not connected to the router and it works etc.

But when I turn the wireless on on the laptop the printer disappears from the computer. It is as if the laptop is taking all the wireless from the router and not letting the printer on.

I then plugged the printer into the router and it work fine as it should with the laptop on wireless and both computers could print.

I then unplugged the printer and plugged the laptop into the router and once again it worked fine with the printer on wireless and the two computers plugged into the router.

I then thought it may have been the wireless card in the laptop interfering so I installed a USB netgear WG111 wireless adapter into the laptop. But once again the printer disappeared and I could not print on either computer. But oddly as soon as I unplugged the USB netgear adapter the printer came alive and printed what was in the queue from the PC and the PC could see the printer again.

So from what I can gather the router is only allowing one thing to be on wireless at once. I've checked the IP addresses and they are different so I'm stuck for ideas now.

In case this matters it is a Sky Netgear router.

Any ideas would be really appreciated

Thankyou.

Edited by nunbean, 26 January 2010 - 06:02 AM.

#4 ninotschka

ninotschka

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2010 - 05:08 AM

Hi nunbean,

have you every found a solution for your problem? i have a similar issue with 2 windows 7 laptops and also the 'beloved' Sky DG834GT router. every time i restart one of the laptops, the printer shows as offline and only removing and adding the printer will make it come back to life.

Epson is telling me that it's a router problem. Sky are telling me it's a problem with both (!!) network cards in the 2 laptops and because that is just ridiculous, I am not even going to contact Dell about it.

Of course I would appreciate any kind of input if any of you have any ideas. I am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit on both laptops.

THey had Vista and XP installed before. the wireless never worked on Vista for some reason but I never had a problem on the XP machine.

Thanks in advance for your time guys.

nina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users