Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

loading personal settings page

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nem7glan

nem7glan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:30 AM

hi, for the past few days my xp sp3 notebook has been slow on the "loading personal settings" page - taking say about 20 seconds to load instead of going straight through to the desktop. This happens on the account I use on a daily basis. I have another account that I use for downloading programs or updates, and there is no such lag with that. I have run a malwarebytes scan and nothing was found. Event viewer did show that yesterday my AV program did not start properly first time but that was only yesterday, nothing showed up for the previous days or today. I tried creating a new account thinking that maybe my normal account is becoming corrupted, and then logged in to it - that also was slow as above, but maybe that is because it was a brand new account? Would you have any idea what if anything could be going wrong with the original account? Any ideas much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:29 PM

Do you have a mapped network drive that is no longer accessible?

Or maybe you used to have a printer installed but it is no longer connected to the computer? Or some other hardware that is no longer connected?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nem7glan

nem7glan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

hi Budapest, thanks for replying. I have never needed to map a network drive with this computer. I use a printer but due to lack of space always have to move it away when I have finished printing (I generally save up my printing for once-a-month use!); and I use external usb 2.0 drives, but once again do not leave them plugged in when not in use and always remove them using the safely remove hardware icon.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 03:59 PM

Do you notice any difference in boot times if you leave the printer connected?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 nem7glan

nem7glan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

haven't tried that - I'll have to get it and see. Thanks for suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users