Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is RUNDLL32.EXE-451FC2C0.pf normal?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kevatar

Kevatar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:52 AM

Hi,

Since having problems due to a vundo.je infection I was checking locations of system files that had internet access on zonealarm and setting it to ask again next time. I'm don't know much about it so can anyone tell me why so many system files access the internet and does this represent a threat? I can't remember when all these things got permission to access, maybe when the pc was first set up.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe had internet access

With a search I also found another file is this normal?

C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\RUNDLL32.EXE-451FC2C0.pf

cheers Kev

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerGeek01

ComputerGeek01

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

Rundll32 is a program used by windows to run files, dll's for instance. What we would need to know is what file rundll32 is using when or if it accesses the internet anymore. Then we can tell you if the file that Rundll32 is using has a malicious purpose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users