Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SYX Core i7 920

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DrNixonRenaldo

DrNixonRenaldo

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

I am looking for a new machine! It will be used primarily for gaming, some audio editing, and I am hoping to get into some XML development in the near future. I primarily play World of Warcraft, and would like to be able to max out the graphics and still maintain at least 70ish fps in a raid setting (not sure how to describe this technically...but it's 25 people packed into a tight space with spell animations flying everywhere...my current machine, a four year old dell running 2gb of ddr2 and a four series amd athlon dual core takes a tremendous framerate hit in these settings - we are talking down to about 15 fps with minimal graphics settings, where I can get ~60 in normal areas) ...I don't think that is unreasonable for this type of machine. I would also like to be able to handle current gen games at high settings as well. As far as the audio work is concerned I use FL Studio and assorted plugins...this is fairly harsh for my current rig, but again, I don't THINK this should be a problem for this guy - in fact, if anything, I am worried that maybe this system is overkill for my purposes. Note that I do like to multitask...I wouldn't mind being able to toy around with new synths or something on one screen during downtime while running a game on the other screen, and I definitely need iTunes open in the background so I can call up my tunes whilst I play for games with less than stellar sound, while also having about 12 firefox tabs open so every random thing link that looks semi-interesting can stay open, etc....you get it?). The idea of doing my own build both excites me and scares me...but more the second part. It would be my first build, and although I am sure I would learn a lot...well, like I said...certain things, like installing thermal compound, look like something I could seriously botch. I am currently considering the following machine: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=SYX-1025 . I was hoping to get a bit of feedback here as to its value, comparable models, etc. If someone wants to try and convince me to do my own build (ie: I could save a load of money and really won't end up melting down $1000+ worth of hardware, I'm all ears...) I would appreciate suggestions as to what parts you would recommend. Also, does anyone here know anything about monitors? This one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...mp;sku=V18-2404 has a high refresh rate, high contrast ratio, good size, reasonable price...but I really don't know much about displays.

I have a lot to learn and will start doing a bunch of my own research...but I'd like to have some veteran advice before I spend this kind of money. I would rather overbuy than underbuy also, I will more than likely be sticking with what I buy for quite a while and I spend quite a bit of time at my computer between all the afformentioned things, school, work, etc...

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: 1) I seem to have somehow inadvertently created two posts identical to this one...sorry :blink:

2) I am not 100% positive that this is in the right place...I guess I put it here because I expect to be talked into doing a build, but really I am asking for feedback on a pre-assembled machine...anyway if you want to move it I certainly don't mind.

EDIT: Moved to the correct forum-MG

Edited by garmanma, 12 January 2010 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

The specs on the SYX-1025 look good.
Although, I'm not too sure about the 9800GTs in SLI, when you have better single card options for outright performance gains.
In fact, a single 1GB HD4870 is all you need!
And if you fancy DX11 gaming, there's the HD5XXX series to choose from.

Monitor: Get an ASUS 24" HD Monitor

And you probably had this coming...
Your better off building a beast of a machine , instead of going for a pre-built systems. Your call though!

Edited by ReviverSoft, 11 January 2010 - 07:48 PM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 DrNixonRenaldo

DrNixonRenaldo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your advice!

I will definitely order the ASUS monitor.

As far as the graphics cards go, I think I am going to order this system as is for now, and upgrade to one of those 5 series cards when dx11 games become more prominent(or exist?)

In the meantime, I'll keep reading, so the next time around I can build my own system/be the one here handing out information.

Cheers!

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

No problem!
The 9800GT SLI should handle the list of graphics intensive requirements you have mentioned.

Have fun with your new rig. :blink:
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 04:13 PM

The 9800GT in SLI can handle many of the graphics heavy requirements you have. However, for best performance, getting a single high-end graphics card would be best. Also, you may want to consider shutting down iTunes when you play games, it is a bit of a resource hog. If you do eventually build your own system, the thermal compound shouldn't be an issue as it comes pre-applied to the heat sink. All you have to do is just remove the plastic cover and install the thing.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users