Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of death

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 atapp21

atapp21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:15 AM

Hello all,

Once again I have another computer problem with my Dell 4550 windows XP computer. Well my wife felt a need to rearrange the house and moved our desktop computer from one side of the room to the other. In the process our computer seems to have took a dump. Upon turning the computer back on we see the blue screen of death stating "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" and then further down below there is some technical information " STOP: 0x000000ED (0x83F4D900, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)"

So once I seen that I'm thinking a loose connection of some sort. So I disconnect all my connections, clean my computer out and then reconnect. Didn't matter I still see the same message on boot up. Help What else can I do?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonhj

jonhj

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:11 AM

You can try few more things like :

*Pull out the Ram and clean the "contacts" using a clean cloth or a pencil eraser, trick usually works for me to clean the contact points.
* I guess problem is related to your boot device , check if you haven't left the pen-drive/usb-memory-stick left plugged in the back of the system :thumbsup: .
*also check the boot priority, by going the bios and checking the setting for boot priority.
*why dont you try booting using a live-linux/live-window CD that may help you diagnose the problem.

#3 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:20 AM

From Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403&sd=RMVP

Recovery Console (No XP Installation CD):

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/276527/how-to-create-a-bootable-xp-recovery-console-cd/

Please note that using this procedure requires burning an ISO image...Different from burning a CD....
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#4 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

You can try few more things like :

*Pull out the Ram and clean the "contacts" using a clean cloth or a pencil eraser, trick usually works for me to clean the contact points.
* I guess problem is related to your boot device , check if you haven't left the pen-drive/usb-memory-stick left plugged in the back of the system :flowers: .
*also check the boot priority, by going the bios and checking the setting for boot priority.
*why dont you try booting using a live-linux/live-window CD that may help you diagnose the problem.

Johnj,

Okay I will try and remove my ram and see if that re-establishes my operating system. And besides my peripherals I don't have anything in my usb ports. And lastly, I don't have live-linux but I do have a knoppix disk which is a linux bootable disk. Now once I have this up and running how do I go about troubleshooting my computer?

Sincerely,
A glimmer of hope :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#5 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Old Grumpy Bastard, The recovery console seem to do the trick. As always your help on here is awesome. :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#6 aicarian

aicarian

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 09:33 AM

Please perform the troubleshooting steps in the same sequence provided by me and you wil get ur display back.

Step 1. Perform a Dry Boot
a. Shutdown the computer.
b. Disconnect the AC adapter, any externally connected device like External Hard Disk, External CD Drive, Pen Drive and remove the battery.
c. Press the power button down for about 45-60 seconds.
d. Reconnect the AC adapter and not the battery.
e. Restart the computer and check if the display comes.

PURPOSE: This will discharge any residual charge present in the unit completely
Thanks & Regards
aicarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users