Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Going Wireless With a Desktop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

Hi. I've been wanting to go wireless with my desktop for a while, but I'm not sure which is better: an internal PCI card, or a USB adapter. I have an older computer (Specs here, but I installed a ATI Radeon X1050 graphics card in the PCI Express x16 slot), so I want to get something that will work. I"ve been looking at the following products:

Super G 802.11BG Wireless Pci

Medialink - Wireless G USB Adapter

MSI Wireless-G USB2.0 Adapter

AirLink101

So, which is better for my poor, aging desktop: PCI or USB? The Medialink one got good reviews for working on older computers, but I want a second opinion before I buy. Also, you'll notice that all of them are pretty cheap...and that's a big factor: I don't have a lot to spend.

PS - If this is the wrong forum mods, then please move it. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,741 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

Read on: http://www.osnn.net/general-hardware/80104...rd-adapter.html

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:14 AM

I use wireless for my desktop and have used both USB and PCI adaptors. In my unscientific comparisons I've found the PCI card (a RealTek 8185) to be more reliable than the USB dongle (a Netgear 54G111). The dongle would work fine for a while and then poop out (and be really hot.) I'd have to unplug it and let it cool before using it again.

If you go with a PCI card, though, get yourself a better antenna than that which comes with the card. Preferably on on the end of a cable. That way you can position the antennta for the best signal without moving the computer itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users