Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connection Issue with Hub

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:40 PM

I have cable Internet. I bought a hub because I want to get my son Internet in his room without having to buy a pricey wireless router.

I connected my Internet modem to the hub and then added the Cat 5 cable to connect to my PC and had to use a 40 foot cable to connect to my sons PC.

Now my PC Internet signal is fine and the Web works great routed through the hub, but my sons room (the one connected with the long Cat 5) is getting a Low Connectivity Signal, bytes are being sent and received (bytes keep growing, started at 50,000 now over a million) but apparently not enough to actually launch the net.

Now my question is can it be that the Cat 5 is too long to his room and it is weakening the signal? Or is there some other issue that could be causing this problem?

The Hub: Dynex 4 Port 10 Mbps

Thank you very much

Edit: Moved topic from Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

The length of the cat5 should not be an issue. I believe 350` is the max suggested length. May be less but 45` should be no problem.

I have never seen that error on a wired connection, only a wireless.

#3 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:42 PM

The length of the cat5 should not be an issue. I believe 350` is the max suggested length. May be less but 45` should be no problem.

I have never seen that error on a wired connection, only a wireless.

Thank you for reply.

So is there anything I can do to try to troubleshoot this? I have restarted the PC several times, pinged my ISP via the cmd.exe function, plugged and unplugged the modem as well as the cables, and still the bytes sent and received keeps climbing, but no launch of Internet????

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:45 PM

What type of PC is your Son`s ?

Is it wireless capable ?

#5 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:01 AM

It's a Dell desktop, all-in-one. It is wireless capable I believe.

But we are connecting via Ethernet adapter. I tested the Ethernet connection and it is working properly, the only thing I have not tried is a different Cat 5 cable, though there are bytes being sent so I assume the cable is okay.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

Not sure what an "all-in-one" is other then a combination printer\fax\scanner.

Since it is a desktop and not a laptop I am going to guess it is not wireless capable. Unless a wireless PCI card, or other wireless device has been added.

If you right click on the network icon and select Open Network Connections how many connections\types are shown.

What is the operating system?

#7 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:35 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean all-in-one, I meant that it's the one where it's compact, the CPU actually sits on the desk.

Windows XP Professional Version 2002

Only Network connection shown is LAN

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

It looks similar to this?

Posted Image

#9 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:57 AM

No, it's not a laptop, it's a Desktop model, it's just compact, as in the CPU does not sit on the floor, it's the smaller model and sits right on the desk, for the life of me I cannot remember the official name of it right now

#10 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

Instead of the Tower standing upright vertically, this model just sits on the desk with the monitor sitting right on top, and it is a horizontal.

#11 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

Here I found a picture of exactly what it looks like:

Posted Image

#12 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:08 AM

No problem right now on the make of it. I just need`d a clarification on the type(s) of ethernet connections available. For now I will assume it is not wireless capable. The reason I need`d to know that is because if it had both wired and wireless then Windows automatically uses the wireless. The symptoms you describe more closely resemble problems with a wireless connection.

Is this machine running XP?

Two simple things you can try.
1)Check the entire length of the cable for nicks, kinks, breaks. Any damage to the ends plugged into the port of the hub and PC.
2)Since your PC is working try unplugging it from the hub and plugging the cat5 running from your son`s PC into that port.

#13 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:28 AM

That is really strange, I tested the cable via my computer and the Internet pops right up.

But what I noticed now is that on his computer, while it picked up the Ethernet plug in the LAN previously and was at least picking up some bytes from the modem signal, it now says that the cable is unplugged. I even refreshed the Ethernet Adapter and Windows says it's working properly, but when I plug it in to his system it will not pick it up.

So suddenly it will not recognize the Cat 5 cable as plugged in. Maybe it's the Ethernet adapter gone bad, though Windows says it's working properly?

#14 Olga Gierowitz

Olga Gierowitz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:39 AM

Never mind, just replugged it and it recognized it this time so now Im back to Low Connectivity message and slowly the bytes are building up.

Since everything works on my PC, including the CAt 5 cable, I have to assume that it must be an issue with his computer right?

Edited by Olga Gierowitz, 11 January 2010 - 01:40 AM.

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:55 AM

This could still be a problem in one of the 3 hardware components involved. The PC\the NIC\the hub. I believe the small amount of communication you are seeing is the PC trying to obtain an IP address from the cable modem.

There could be other problems as well but we`ll look at the hardware and OS first.

Knowing what operating system you are running would help. When you launch a Browser what message(s) do you get?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users