Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Really slow internet -- virus?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 MrEff

MrEff

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

My internet connection is extremely sporadic. It will load pages, but very slowly, often requiring multiple attempts. Even direct downloads sometimes cut out in the middle. I have tried everything I can think of to fix it and nothing has worked.

-Switched ethernet cables
-Switched to wireless (strong signal)
-Updated wireless and LAN drivers
-Ran ping tests and network card diagnostics--all pass
-Connection status window shows packets coming in and out without much stalling
-Manually configured TCP/IP properties, no effect

Some things that make me suspect a virus:

-Other computer on the same router develops connection problems when I sign on
-Microsoft Network Monitor shows dozens of TCP connections even when not surfing the web or downloading. They all seem to involve port 25 and connect to mail servers. Processes making connections include services.exe and <Unknown>. I've never run the program before so I have no idea if this is normal.
-I was recently infected with Internet Security 2010, which brought a load of trojans with it. I thought I got rid of them all. Malwarebytes reports that I still have rootkit.agent but the infected file doesn't exist on the hard drive. SuperAntiSpyware found nothing but tracking cookies. McAfee trial edition found nothing.

So my theory is that some malware is sending spam over the network and drowning out all the packets from Chrome. What information can I post that will make the situation clearer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users