Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I think I have a virus and can't fix it

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aangelone1

aangelone1

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:12 PM

Hi, I have a Gateway MA6 model and it runs on Windows XP. (http://www.governmentauctions.org/uploaded_images/gates-707351.JPG) My norton antivirus recently expired and I've been meaning to switch over users because I now have comcast and mcaffee is provided for free however I cannot get any antivirus site to open...and it is just antivirus websites. I discovered this as I went to download the mcaffee from comcast's website and it told me that the page was unavailable and then went to try to reboot my norton's antivirus and that too was not opening. Lately, my computer has been slow and freezing (to the point where I have to manually restart it) more which shouldn't happen because I removed the majority of my files to an external hard drive for safekeeping and have deleted any most unnecessary files from my hard drive/ removed programs I don't use or do not need. I did ctrl +alt+delete and looked under processes to see if I noticed anything fishy as I have removed spyware from there before but I don't see anything off hand that looks odd/I'm a 20 year old psychology student who wouldn't really know what else to look for and is not the most technologically savvy person out there. I also had downloaded a video messaging program called paltalk yesterday but deleted it from my computer as I don't have any real intention of using it.

I was wondering what I can do. I was thinking about some type of remover or downloading Combofix which I haven't yet done because right now I cannot get into any website which provides antivirus software. It pops up as saying "Oops this link appears to be broken..." For EVERY single antivirus software provider I have checked. All other websites will open normally.

Thanks so much.

EDIT: I also went to my hosts file and below my 127.0.0.1 local host file there is something that says:

"#AAW 195.245.119.131 browser-security.microsoft.com" and I believe this to be a malware so I am going to delete it.

Edited by aangelone1, 10 January 2010 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aangelone1

aangelone1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:25 AM

Just a little update. I was able to download and install malewarebytes onto my computer and I did run it. At first, this message popped up:
Posted Image
But then it was able to run successfully from what I can tell. There were 9 items flagged:
Posted Image
I deleted those items and restarted my computer.

I also have a log if you want to see it.
However, the problem is not solved and the antivirus sites will not open.

Edited by aangelone1, 11 January 2010 - 12:37 AM.

#3 aangelone1

aangelone1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:00 AM

I ran rootrepeal last night but am not sure how to translate the log. I have it saved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users