Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System devices folder missing from Device Manager

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Crippledman

Crippledman

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Hello, this is a great site. Although I haven’t found a similar issue as mine, I did find a lot of other interesting info. while I was doing searches. Maybe I found the solution, but didn’t know it.

Well, this will be long, but I wanted to show what I have done so far to resolve this. I have a Dell XPS410 running Windows XP MSE 2005. The issue stared approximately 3 weeks ago. After booting up I would get the dialog box saying that Windows had found new software and needed to load a driver. The driver it needed was “Microsoft UAA Driver for High Definition Audio”. This seemed strange as I have good sound and everything seems to run fine. I checked the BIOS to make sure the integrated audio was turned off since I use a sound card. I tried using the XP disks, MSE2005 disk, the Dell forum, many searches on the internet and Microsoft web site to find the driver without any luck. Microsoft did have a hot fix, KB Article Number: 888111. The e-mail I received with instructions on how to download the fix had warnings that scared me. This was more than just a driver fix. Someone told me to check the System devices in the Device Mgr and it could help locate the problem. When I checked the Device Mgr I discovered that my System devices folder is gone. I can’t help think these are related. I previously posted the problem for the missing problem of the missing UAA driver, but I wasn't aware of the system devices folder missing.

Last night I ran SuperAntiSpyware and Malware Bytes and did find 5 tracking cookies which I quarantined. I ran a full system scan with Avast and the Eset online scanner and both came up clean. I deleted all of my restore points and ran the spy ware programs again and came up clean.

Today I ran sfc /scannow with my installation disks and towards the end it prompted me that it needed to load a driver and which disk to put in. The only problem I had was when it would tell me to put Win XP disk 2 in. I always got the message that I had the wrong disk in even though I had the correct one. Out of desperation I tried the MSE disk and got the same response. To finish I had to keep ignoring the prompts. I copies all of the messages from the Event Manager which told me which drivers were needed and that they could not be copied into the DLL cache with a specific error code 0x800b0100. I did some searches on this and found many results, but none seemed to match.

If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I am almost burned out and if it wasn’t for the “found new hardware” and missing System devices folder I think I would leave it alone.

I have to leave right now, but I will check back tomorrow for any suggestions, try them and the post back with the results.

Thank you,
Bill

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:45 PM

Are you current with all of the Service Packs?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Crippledman

Crippledman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:21 AM

Thanks for responding.

Are you current with all of the Service Packs?

Yes they are all up to date. Someone suggested uninstalling SP 3 and then reloading it since it has the UAA Bus Driver in it, but with the subsequent patches, hot fixes, etc I was afraid to do it. . I don't know if that would restore the System devices anyway. I haven't the sightest idea how to restore the System devices folder in the Device Manager without doing the "R" word. It hasn't been that long since I did a reformat and install, Sept 09.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

Universal Audio Architecture update

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/default.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/audio/uaa.mspx
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 Crippledman

Crippledman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

Thank you Mark for the links. I will give them a try. :thumbsup: Will this restore the System devices folder in the Device Manager? I was thinking that this may have been the problem in trying to install the driver. I'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks again,
Bill

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:28 PM

Will this restore the System devices folder in the Device Manager?

Not sure, I'll have to check it out

IIRC
UAA must be installed before the sound driver
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users