Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

I have an HP Pavilion 520c and I'm trying to reinstall WinXP again but for some reason I can't.
I put in the disk, and everything goes fine until it reboots to continue the installation. So the computer restarts and then the XP disk boots up again, but it boots up as if nothing has happened. It goes back to the begining to where it says cheking system hardware or something like that but it just goes blank right after. I can't do anything.
So after that happened I thought that my computer was messed up permanently, but then I decided to install Ubuntu and it installed perfectly. After Ubuntu was installed to tried to install XP again, and the same thing happened. Everything goes fine and then as soon as it restarts the black Checking hardware screen comes up and then it goes blank again.

Is there another way in which I could install WinXP without the disk? Or could I be doing something bad?

HP Pavilion 520c specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:15 AM

So the computer restarts and then the XP disk boots up again, but it boots up as if nothing has happened. It goes back to the begining to where it says cheking system hardware or something like that but it just goes blank right after. I can't do anything.

You're not hitting any keys while it's rebooting, are you? Just checking. :thumbsup:

#3 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Nope... I just leave it alone and wait for it to boot up...

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:52 AM

You don't have any devices attached...which were not part of the original system, do you?

And...you are using HP recovery/restore CDs?

Louis

#5 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:38 PM

I'm using a new WinXP disk that a friend sold me for $50 because when Win7 Beta came out he installed that instead...
everything in the system is the same except the new HDD because the old one went out... I went from a 60GB to a 320GB HDD

Posted Image

#6 jimtheratdigriz

jimtheratdigriz

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Go into bios, and make sure boot to cd drive isn't top of boot order...even though generally you'll be prompted to press a key to boot to cd. Win XP is a boot cd, so you shouldn't have to do anything as long as you place the cd in the tray pre-boot. Let it install again, and when it reboots to continue installation make sure you don't hit any keys and just let it go.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

<<I'm using a new WinXP disk that a friend sold me for $50 because when Win7 Beta came out he installed that instead...
everything in the system is the same except the new HDD because the old one went out... I went from a 60GB to a 320GB HDD>>

Hmmm...have you ever used this disk before to install XP? And why were you attempting a reinstall?

<<Go into bios, and make sure boot to cd drive isn't top of boot order...even though generally you'll be prompted to press a key to boot to cd. Win XP is a boot cd, so you shouldn't have to do anything as long as you place the cd in the tray pre-boot.>>

In order to boot from the optical drive...it must be the first device in the boot order. Otherwise, the system will try to boot from the hard drive, etc...whatever is the ahead of the optical drive in the boot order.

Louis

#8 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:01 PM

Go into bios, and make sure boot to cd drive isn't top of boot order...even though generally you'll be prompted to press a key to boot to cd. Win XP is a boot cd, so you shouldn't have to do anything as long as you place the cd in the tray pre-boot. Let it install again, and when it reboots to continue installation make sure you don't hit any keys and just let it go.

I do do that....
It's in the original boot order with the removable media 1st (nothing is in the floppy tray) then the HDD and last the CD Drive...
Once it restarts I press nothing at all...

<<I'm using a new WinXP disk that a friend sold me for $50 because when Win7 Beta came out he installed that instead...
everything in the system is the same except the new HDD because the old one went out... I went from a 60GB to a 320GB HDD>>

Hmmm...have you ever used this disk before to install XP? And why were you attempting a reinstall?

<<Go into bios, and make sure boot to cd drive isn't top of boot order...even though generally you'll be prompted to press a key to boot to cd. Win XP is a boot cd, so you shouldn't have to do anything as long as you place the cd in the tray pre-boot.>>

In order to boot from the optical drive...it must be the first device in the boot order. Otherwise, the system will try to boot from the hard drive, etc...whatever is the ahead of the optical drive in the boot order.

Louis

The disk was never used period... it was still in its closed box...
It was still in the same boot order with the HDD 1st because I didn't bother to change it because the HDD was brand spanking new... but I had also switched it to the CD drive 1st and then the HDD...
I had also already stated that the old HDD was dead... no longer working period...
That's why I'm trying to reinstall...

Posted Image

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

If you do as I stated...and the CD is a valid XP CD with valid license...it should begin/complete the formatting of the new hard hard drive and subsequent install of XP.

More explicit instructions/considerations on how to do a clean install at XP Clean Install, Stevens - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html AND Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm.

Louis

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

On these proprietary machines like Dell, HP and others you must run the the manufactures CD that load all the quirky stuff required by that particular vendor. Once that is loaded then upgrade or you will have a real pain trying to find drivers including base system drivers, you can not cheat o this stuff.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

This is where I get stuck once the computer reboots...
It goes from here
to here again...

And yes it's a valid cd with a valid key... it was never opened....

Even if it wasn't a valid key the disk would still install XP but only as a trial tho...

Posted Image

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:02 PM

You may need to install a SATA or RAID driver during the installation.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 nesto1000

nesto1000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

You may need to install a SATA or RAID driver during the installation.

It's an old skool computer that doesn't use sata or raid...

Posted Image

#14 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:52 PM

I would try completely wiping the drive with this:

http://www.dban.org/

Then try installing Windows again.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:54 PM

You should be able to go to the HP site and purchase the correct reinstall disc for you computer, or even find a copy for very cheap dollars on Ebay. I found one for my Dell for under $8. There is no way around proprietary system drivers, these companies have stuff written to keep you coming back for their support.

Phil

Here ya go!!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/53150-2-...g-slow-reformat

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...&taskId=135

Edited by OldPhil, 12 January 2010 - 07:14 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users