Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Connect To Internet After Reformat, Driver Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sam-chan

Sam-chan

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

I had a virus in my computer and got it fixed but was still experiencing problems so I had to reformat my hard drive. I installed the drivers from my drivers CD but I still can't connect to the internet.

I installed the chipset and nic card that was on the CD but I'm still unable to connect.

In device manager I have those warning yellow marks on my Other Devices column. In my Network Adapters tab I only have the 1394 Net Adapter and I know I should have Intel Proset II as well.

I went on Dell's website and they had the Broadcom driver, so I downloaded that as well, but it's also not working.

My computer is very old, Dell Dimension Desktop 8250, and when I reinstalled xp, it seemed like it went back in time 7 years LOL. I really need to get online so I can get the windows update and service packs. I also can't install my antivirus software unless I have service pack 2 at least.

Please help! And Thanks.

I also linked my previous thread in case someone needs more information
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic277875-15.html

Also I'm getting an error on something called Media Controller and on two USB controllers in Other Devices in Device Manager. Help with this would be much appreciated as well.

Edited by Sam-chan, 11 January 2010 - 05:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ratchet48

ratchet48

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:24 AM

I have had this problem with several Dell Computers. The other device is probably the Network Controller, not to be confused with the Network Interface Card. The way I have resolved this on XP machinces is to run Everest Home Edition.

Look at the report it creates, specificly the Motherboard chipsets. Dell lists your chipset as Intel, you can find the drivers at
Intel Support.

#3 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for your reply.

Ok I'll try that. Hopefully it'll help. I had already installed the chipset though.

#4 Sam-chan

Sam-chan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Problem Solved. Mods Please Close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users