Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook Express error

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlexS

AlexS

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:51 PM

Sorry if this ends up as a duplication. I started it once and had to restart the machine.

Lately some incoming e-mails download to "deleted items" instead if "inbox" on both of a two computer hard wired network. The e-mail client is Outlook Express. The server is Comcast. Both machines run Windows XP home ed.

I have checked "message rules" and "blocked senders" and I see nothing that seems to relate to my problem. Per other advice I went to Control Panel and clicked "Add/Remove Windows components" which is supposed to repair Outlook Express but I see no difference.

The e-mails are not all from the same sender and are sometimes from family members. Sorry to say we also get some very persistent spam which has been unstoppable but even it sometimes ends up in deleted items (most appropriately) but that is another story.

Does anyone have ANY clue what this problem might be and what might be done to cure it, please? Many thanks in advance. AlexS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 09:27 PM

AlexS,

On the surface it appears there is a "spam filter" at work here. You do not state specifically whether you have one or not. Another question I'd ask is what AV and firewall configurations you might be running? Those are the first places I'd look at. If all those come up negative for conflicts. I'd be guessing after that, without more information.

Be (OE) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 AlexS

AlexS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2005 - 12:27 PM

I feel silly saying it but . . . . Dear Animal!

Thank you for your reply. I run Norton AV on both machines and since they are connected thru the router, I rely on that firewall for protection. I have turned off the Windows firewall. I also run Zone Alarm (on one machine only) and regularly run AdAware and SpyBot S+D on each machine. I also use Mailwasher Pro on the machine running Zone Alarm.

I feel I should repeat here that the problem happens on both machines. The only good thing I can think of is that I don't seem to be losing any messages even though some of them download in the wrong place.

Thank you for your interest. Alex

#4 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 09:33 PM

well, that is strange, i agree with above, about a spam filter, does your isp provide spam filtering on their pop servers? i know mine does, i denied thier offer for it was included in my hsi package. the other thing i might try if it were my issue, would be to remove all rules, set everything to dedfault. but i would call isp first.the ones here in eastern canada seem to like to screw things up and make you call before they tell you!
Google...Google.....browse..read

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 10:18 PM

AlexS,

I apologize for not being more specific about my suspicions about the "spam filter" being at the server level. I did understand your configuration about being behind a router and it happening to both machines. That's how I came up with the possible "spam filter" scenario.

Thank You, for the clarification Snapper.

If, in fact, your ISP does not filter at the server level, I'm at a loss, here. :thumbsup:

Be (Needle in a Haystack) Safe

Da Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 AlexS

AlexS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

Da Animal and Snapper, thank you both for the continued interest and messages. I am leaving on a two week trip and upon return I will call my ISP and see if they have any words of wisdom.

I should add that today we downloaded 16 messages on both machines and none went to Deleted Items. Go figure!

Cheers, Alex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users