Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Anti-Spyware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 starship

starship

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:37 PM

I may has missed it but has there been a discussion concerning the anti-spyware software bundled with Yahoo toolbar?

I find little about it on the Web. Some say its really good but I'm concerned about the toolbar itself. Wasn't that considered spyware a while back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 22 August 2005 - 10:51 PM

starship,

I did a search on this forum and did not find a thread discussing the Yahoo tool bar with the antispyware. But I found numerous items with that topic discussed by searching with google here. The third article down at infoworld was the only one I read.

Be (Toolbar) Safe

Da Animal
:thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 starship

starship
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 07:35 AM

Thanks Animal,

I saw those entries, also.

I was just loooking for some validation from others who have used it.

I do appreciate your efforts.

:thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:03 AM

I got the anti-spyware download with out getting the toolbar. Yahoo's privacy policy states that they don't share info on users beyond their partner companies which is likely true. From their privacy policy:

Yahoo! displays targeted advertisements based on personal information. Advertisers (including ad serving companies) may assume that people who interact with, view, or click on targeted ads meet the targeting criteria - for example, women ages 18-24 from a particular geographic area.

Thats about as bad as their intrusiveness is I'm sure. These toolbars are considered spyware by some because when you use them your surfing habits are monitored which allows them to target their advertising as mentioned above. I don't agree with that because they are assuming that they know what content you want to see.

Beyond that, if there was any real spyware involved programs like Ad-Aware and Spybot would pick up on it.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users