Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

unknown Key Commands (left SHIFT + W + D)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 user009

user009

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

I was playing a game that required me to press and hold Shift + W + D and not only did it not respond but i got a beep (from speakers not internal)
It turns out that this (along with a few other combos) will cause this beep no matter what i am doing. even if i'm just on the desktop.
I've watched my running programs ( in task manager) for responses to these commands and the only program that seems to react to it is those that deal with outputing the audio.
the combo of keys is left CTRL or left SHIFT + any key in the second row from TAB to Y in combo with the key down and to my right of it E.G left SHIFT + W+D
The predictable pattern makes me thing it is a bug(or unfinished listener) in something, my first though is keyboard drivers.
I'm running Windows 7 x64 on an AMD processor. Keyboard is an old Ps/2 Emachines. Video card is ATI HD 4850.
Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 10:17 PM

Have a dog or a two year old grandkid hold down keys if you want to hear noise
It's common

Edited by garmanma, 11 January 2010 - 10:44 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 user009

user009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

Have a dog or a two year old grandkid hold down keys if you want to here noise
It's common

It's just weird that it only happens with those combos. and that the third key isn't accepted as a press. (IE if I press shift + W + D i get a capital W and no D.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users