Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed attack by 2010 Internet security BUT cannot log into internet

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hi, I believe I finally have removed the rouge Internet Security 2010, (WOW, what a lot of viruses it dumped on me) using directions from here.. (THANKS) but it left some....... "damage"

I cannot sign into the internet either through Firefox or MSN; programs open but pages do not load.
My networked computers run fine

I am using Windows XP

I have gone into my network connections ( have MSN/Verizon)-

Under Connecton Manager shows
Name: MSN
Type: Configuration Manager,
STATUS: "unavailable device missing, firewalled" I see this with my other networked computers

Under Lan or High Speed Internet says

Name: Local Area Connection:
Type: Lan or High Speed Internet

as well as

Name: 1394 Connection
Type: Lan or High Speed Internet

This all seems to be OK,

My connection status for 1394 ( which I guess is for internet) is showing no activity (0 packets).
Disabled, enabled this device, R&R internet cable, turned off, unplugged computer, no help

I was going to do a repair with my recovery CD, but I must have misplaced it somehow :thumbsup:

Did system restore ( fixed "missing logon.exe" warning, but did not restore internet connection to this one computer - again computers going through the same router are working fine)

How do I get back to the internet?

Thanks!

Matt

Edited by mrmatt2, 10 January 2010 - 07:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,995 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

As no logs have been posted, I am shifting this topic from the specialized HiJack This forum to the Am I Infected forum.

==>PLEASE DO NOT NOW POST LOGS<== unless a log is specifically requested.
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 10:09 PM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:47 PM

Thanks, I will contact my ISP before doing this and will let you know.

I was tempted to download and run WinsockFix.zip but waited for a reply.

I also noted that both my other home computers ( which uses the same router as my damaged computer) both show a labeled internet under "Internet Gateway"

Posted Image

while the damage computer does not

Posted Image

Guess I am missing an internet connection option....

Thanks!

m

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:50 PM

You can still try the "netsh winsock reset" and "ipconfig /flushdns" fixes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

OK, I just wanted to mention one more thing before I do the above as you suggested...

I am able to ping Google.com and see 4 packets sent, 4 packets received - so it looks like I am hooked up to the internet(?) - just cant open either MSN, Firefox, IE browsers.

If what you suggested is still needed, I will do it, but just wanted to add the above comment first.

Thanks for your patience!

Matt

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

You should give it a try as it cannot hurt.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

IT'S FIXED! YAY!

IN SUMMAARY............

I've read some people lost internet connection after virus removal and/or malwarebytes ( so they say - though I never found malware bytes to do this on its own....)

Even without an apparent internet connection, I was able to ping google, send & reveive packets,

so I found kinda by accident with IE browser, under tools, there is "diagnose internet connection problems"

Went through that, it attempted a fix, asked for me to reboot, and that fixed it!

Something to remember!

BUDAPEST, thank you for your time and help though, I greatly appreciate it!

Matt

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

:thumbsup:

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users