Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics card making noise during gameplay?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 htv8

htv8

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Hello hardware experts,

My new graphics card makes some screeching/cracking noise when playing the newest graphic games. It's not silent, and is rather disturbing when the music/game sound is soft or completely turned off. I'm almost 100% sure the sound comes from the graphics card's internal fan/cooler working hard to deal with the warmth it produces. I do have to note though that the computer's case does have a raster at its side so you can see the case's contents (including the graphics card) directly...
Knowing the above, can this noise be considered normal? The graphics card's internal fan/cooler should be good enough, shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for any answer,

htv8
If I have not posted back within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM with your topic link.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcxcsc

pcxcsc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

1st I recommend taking side panel off so you have access to gfx card, play the game & when the video card makes noise simply (carefully) put your finger on the cards fan blades to stop it (quickly) to see if noise stops when fan is stopped. This willl narrow down the noise problem source. If it is the fan shut down pc pull card & check that the fan spins freely & doesn't stop quickly when spun w/ finger, being new it shouldn't be dirty but check for wires or anything that might be rubbing or obstructing it, it may be defective or simply a 'trait' of that model. If not fan & noise is from speakers than it may be glitchy sound card. Search the model of video card with problem description, there may be model specific problems of similar nature

#3 htv8

htv8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,694 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:54 AM

Problem is that opening the case in the first couple of months will breach my warranty... The case is sealed.
If I have not posted back within 24 hours, feel free to send me a PM with your topic link.

Posted Image

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

You'll have to open the case sooner or later, either for direct ventilation or to replace the stock cooler on the graphics card.

BTW, which card is this? Computer make/model?

If you are worried about the warranty, call up the company's support people and have them take a look at it.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users