Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD Drive sees blank DVD as a CD and wont write a DVD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tonyhead

tonyhead

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:10 PM

I have a Philips DVD +RW 8801 in computer. When I insert a blank DVD the name in My Computer changes from DVD Drive to CD Drive and burner tells me there is insufficient room on DVD for material

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcxcsc

pcxcsc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:28 PM

The first thing I think of is problematic dvd blank type (dvd -r or dvd+r). If you're trying to use dvd-r or dvd+r on unit that isn't capable it will not work. Also I'd make sure unit can read dvd's...If you have a (store bought) dvd make sure unit can play it. And you may try a different burning software, I use nero and a free program called imgburn sometimes 1 program will burn dvd when the other program won't

#3 tonyhead

tonyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

THANKS pcxcsc, But I fear it is a greater problem than that. I have tried a variety of blanks of various manufacturers and various speeds but to no avail. When I go into my computer the drive is now showing as a CD Drive. Any more thoughts?

#4 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Does a System Restart help in changing the label back to DVD RW drive?
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#5 tonyhead

tonyhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

Yes. On restart the drive shows as a DVD/Ram, but put a disc in a whoosh as if by magic I have a cd drive

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 06:01 PM

Some things you can try:
  • If you recently installed some burning software, uninstall it.
  • Use the fix given on this Microsoft page.
  • Clean the laser using one of those drive cleaning kits (or if it is a laptop, carefully wipe the laser with a soft dry cloth).
  • Open the Device Manager (Start > Run > type "devmgmt.msc"). Locate the CD/DVD drive, right click on it and select "Uninstall". After it has uninstalled reboot the computer (it will be automatically reinstalled).

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users