Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login name is incorrect

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaCoDaMieNuTz

MaCoDaMieNuTz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Hello, everybody, sorry i haven't yet introduced myself but i'm in a bit of rush and will some time soon. I was working on a friend's computer that he inherited from someone else by the name of gerry. When you start up windows, it's xp professional, it displays the name Gerry for login but all you have to do is hit enter because there is no set password. however, once you're logged in, the start menu says you're logged in as co0ra, and the same thing when you check the user accounts. Even when i went to user accounts to change the name, hopefully resetting both and setting a password, i rebooted to still see the name Gerry but the new password accepted. i noticed he had tweakui installed in the add/remove programs panel but could not locate it in its usual installation location. I also didn't have the internet at my disposal so i couldn't reinstall it at the time. But i'm reasonably certain its a setting set in tweakui. Anyone have any idea how to work around this, with or without tweakui. Its an annoying and silly problem. thanks in advance. Sorry for rushed grammar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:12 PM

Did you try this:

Click Start -> Control Panel > User Accounts. Click the account, and then click 'Change my name'.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:14 PM

If you want a new name on the Docs & Settings folders and login...it seems that creating a new user profile...then transfering the settings, etc...and deleting the old profile...should accomplish that.

Copy Data from a Corrupted User Profile to a New Profile in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users