Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System fan not running error

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Wesley

John Wesley

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 05:18 PM

My desktop, which has been running fine for years, just started booting to an error that says the system fan is not running and the system has been halted to prevent damage. The only problem is that all my fans are running just fine. I tried to get into the bios to see if I could disable fan monitoring, but I can't get into the bios.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcxcsc

pcxcsc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

bios may be clitched & needs reset...1st thing I'd try is resetting the cmos settings either by jumper or removing battery (while unplugged). make sure cpu fan (& heat sink) are clean & fan spins freely.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:24 AM

Could be the fan is no longer telling the motherboard its operating correctly. If it is physically working I would try a different fan first before a motherboard since its a bit cheaper.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

Yep, The fan isn't spinning fast enough although it's "working"
You should only get the error if the fan isn't running at a specific speed
Dell's used to have that problem
There was a workaround for the issue but I can't remember what it is

You coould go in the BIOS & see if you can disable the warning
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:55 AM

You could go in the BIOS & see if you can disable the warning

While that is a work around I do`t recommend it.

As said by Sneakycyber. It is very possible the fan is no longer functioning correctly. Possibly spinning slower then it should and probably on it`s way to total failure. Disabling\ignoring the warning can and in all likelihood lead to thermal damage of a critical system component.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:03 AM

If the fan sensor is anything like the older Dell's the fan has to run at a specific RPM to "shut off" the error message.
Thet nwere odd speed fans which ment that only a OEM fan would stop the error message
If you turn the warning off in the BIOS any speed fan will work.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

If the fan sensor is anything like the older Dell's the fan has to run at a specific RPM to "shut off" the error message.
Thet nwere odd speed fans which ment that only a OEM fan would stop the error message
If you turn the warning off in the BIOS any speed fan will work.

Not doubting your info. But proper RPMs create proper air flow (CFM) which provide proper cooling.

A slower turning fan depending on design may deliver equal\greater then the OEM fan.

My only concern is that the current fan is very possibly no longer turning at it`s intended RPMs thereby decreasing it`s cooling (CFM flowed). Just do`t want the OP to ignore the warning sign.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 11 January 2010 - 03:22 AM

if the fan is no longer running at the specific speed necessary, and it has in the past, then chances are the fan is failing. IF you work around it, it could freeze up, and cause permanent damage (Ive even seen frozen fans fry Power supplies) I would find which fan is the system fan and replace it. theyre only 5 bucks from newegg anyway.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#9 John Wesley

John Wesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the input, I've tried both new fans and power supply, but to no affect. I notice sometimes the CPU fan doesn't spin at all after the initial rev up during POST. So I'm thinking it's the mother board. Am I screwed, or is there a possible fix?

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

I would then plug the fan straight into the PSU (using the adaptor) and disable the alarm. if its to loud, you can also buy a fan controller.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:56 PM

I notice sometimes the CPU fan doesn't spin at all after the initial rev up during POST.

Just wondering if this is a visual observation or are you going by sound level? Many PCs CPU fans spin up to maximum on initial boot then spin down to a slower RPM until heat builds through use and the RPMs increase again.

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

indeed-if it doesnt hit a high enough temperature for the fan to turn on, often times the onboard controller will not turn the fan on. the big thing to watch is the system temperature and the CPU temperature. if they are getting into the danger zone then I would defitly worry, if not then just keep an eye on it. If your really paranoid about it you can purchase a aftermarket fan controller that controlls all your fans from the CPU fan to the system fans, and control them manually, though that can get costly. the big thing though is temperature. I would download CPU Z or something along those lines to monitor your temps.

picard5.jpg

#13 John Wesley

John Wesley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:42 PM

It was a visual observation, the fan stopped spinning just after POST. Also, as referenced in my original post, I cannot even access the BIOS.

#14 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

It was a visual observation, the fan stopped spinning just after POST.

If it does not spin back up after the PC has been running for a short while then I would say the fan needs replaced and the warning is correct.

Also, as referenced in my original post, I cannot even access the BIOS.

Possibly\probably a separate issue. I would first look into replacing the fan before any thermal damage can be done.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:58 AM

I agree, bios is a seperate issue, and that fan should be replaced.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users