Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless dropping on Advent4211c

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sigs67

sigs67

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:58 PM

Hi everyone,

I have recentley bought an Advent 4211C notebook for the kids but I am having loads of problems with the wireless connection. It just keeps connecting/dropping the connection. I googled & tried a suggested solution of installing Realteks driver, uninstalling the network adapter then reinstalling the same. As you can probally guess this was all to no avail, so I am back where I started.

I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this one.

Thanks in advance.

Sigs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Are you using the Windows wireless configuration utility or another?

A quick thing to try is to go into Device manager. Find the wireless device under Network devices. Right click on Properties > Power Management tab > Remove the check mark in Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power

#3 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:10 AM

Hi Thunderz,

I tried your suggestion but unfortunatley the problem still exists. I am going to contact Advent to see if they have a solution.

Thanks for the reply

Sigs.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:42 AM

Let us know what you find out. If you do not have any success there is at least one other thing we can try.

#5 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hi Thunderz,

Well I tried Advent but can't seem to find their website. I am interested in what else you have for me to try though.
If not I'm afraid it's going back to PC World.

Thanks again

Sigs.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 09:36 AM

Depending on your location you can try HERE or since you bought it from PC World you may find more info HERE.

My suggestion would be to try using the Windows built in wireless management if you are not already.

Edited by ThunderZ, 11 January 2010 - 09:36 AM.

#7 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 06:28 AM

Hi again,

I went through the PC Worlds Techguys stuff & all it came up with was the same driver software that I had already downloaded. It then goes on to say that it may be a compatability issue with my router. After all the help recieved & endless trawling through forum after forum I have decided that they can have it back.

Surely this type of problem should be a thing of the past when it comes to compatability issues. Ah well, they have one at the carphone warehouse for the same money so we will try again with the Compaq this time.

Once again thanks to you, Thunderz, for taking the time & sharing your knowledge, it is very much appreciated.

Sigs.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

Your :thumbsup:

But whenever the problem is`t solved I do`t feel like I have assisted properly or enough.
I agree that compatibility issues should be all but non-existent. We never established your OS. If it is XP, then there have also been some issues after updating to SP3. But these are usually cured by uninstalling\re-installing the driver which you have done.

While it is an inconvenience I`m glad you at least have the option of exchanging it. Beats the heck out of being stuck with an expensive paperweight.

#9 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:10 PM

Hi again,

Well, the Advent has gone on to to be sold as a recon model, I hope somebody else doesn't have the same problems I did but I'm not that hopeful. I must say though that the customer service I recieved from the guys at PC World was brilliant. A small explanation from me regarding the problems & they gave me a refund & didn't try to fob me off or try & sell me something to replace it, so good on them.

Thanks again Thunderz for your wisdom.

I am however having a little problem with the Compaq (OS XP). It's connected to the wireless connection no problem, but it keeps showing "Acquiring Network Address"? I have let windows configure the settings, it shows a strong connection to the router but still can't find the NA. Has anyone any ideas as to where I have gone wrong & should I open this question in a new Topic?

As ever I await those with the knowledge of which I have very little. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Sigs

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:19 PM

Sorry we could`t get the Advent squared away for you. Glad PC world was easy to deal with. Takes the sting out of things a bit.
Do`t know about wisdom. Just some basic trouble shooting that did`t solve the problem. :thumbsup:

It is your call on the next topic. Your in the right forum but since we have already ended the original post a new post might gain the response of a more knowledgeable member regarding networking. I`ll kind of keep an eye out. If you get no replies in a reasonable amount of time we can have a go at it as well.

#11 sigs67

sigs67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:03 PM

Thanks again

Sigs. :thumbsup:

Thanks again

Sigs. :flowers: