Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aptiva 2171-550

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hutcheon

hutcheon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

I have an Aptiva 2171 Model 550 that I am trying to get a network controller driver.
I c ant find it anywhere
any help would be appreciated
thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcxcsc

pcxcsc

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Aptiva is from IBM...I suggest looking for drivers at ibm.com but you may need to be more specific about actual driver needed i.e. onboard network (wireless or not?) etc. try to identify the actual device in hardware 'device manager'.
IBM's website is not easy to navigate but it is your best chance of finding it for free

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:20 PM

FWIW: I checked the IBM/Lenovo support sites, all I saw were drivers for Win 9x, no XP drivers at all. It seems to me that XP is unsupported on that system.

Louis

#4 hutcheon

hutcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

it is currently running xp
i managed to install a d-link dwl 530+ wireless card and it does recognizer it in device manager and says it is functioning properly but i cant detect the wireless network.
4 other computers are running perfectly off the network
thanks

#5 hutcheon

hutcheon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 04:02 PM

Sorry I just got back to this
1 - I managed to install a d-link airplus dwl 550+ wireless adapter on this system and says its working properly
2- in device manager it says i need a pci communications controller

Ive looked on their website for a driver and didnt see what i was looking for either that or it may be i dont know exactly what im looking at :thumbsup:

can someone help me out its my uncles computer and he wants it working and I figured talking to some experienced persons would be the best bet aside from calling someone

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:36 PM

PCI communications...is some PCI card that is installed for communication/networking purposes.

Meaning that it's looking for a driver, try ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg550/Drivers/

FWIW: You can not use the Device Manager statement of status...as an indication that a device is properly installed and works properly. It's good to see if it does what it is supposed to do.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users