Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open specific web pages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LisaMicheleL

LisaMicheleL

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:13 PM

I'm crossing my fingers this is the right place to post this question.
As of this morning I'm unable to connect to facebook.com, pennlive.com (local news site) and a few other random pages. I get "Connecting" and then it times out. Occassionally I'll get to the log in screen but then it times out from there.
I've attempted to get to these sites from IE, Firefox & Chrome (default browser) and none are connecting.

Ran a few scans this morning which found vundo / virtumondo & other odds and ends (these came out of nowhere) so I cleaned them up. Subsequent scans found nothing.

I'm at a loss and would GREATLY appreciate any insight someone could offer.

Many thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:41 PM

I would clear all browser cache and cookies, first. If that doesn't resolve your issue check and see if you have a corrupt HOSTS file.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 LisaMicheleL

LisaMicheleL
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Edit: Nevermind but thanks for your time Animal! Problem solved. Just had to unplug the router & let it do whatever it did during those few minutes. Problem solved!
---

Hi Animal, thank you!
I have cleaned out both the cache & the cookies. No luck.

I'm unsure how to "see if I have a corrupt HOSTS file". Could you recommend a how-to?

Edited by LisaMicheleL, 10 January 2010 - 04:50 PM.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

My suggestion if to take a look at these Hosts File FAQ's. The FAQ's links should be able to guide you with almost any HOSTs issue. If you still have questions post them here and we will do our best to help you with them. Also at the top of the FAQ and all other HOSTS pages is a pull down menu to other articles on HOSTS files.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users