Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network settings

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nhraidersfan

nhraidersfan

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

I have 2 problems that I will ( in accordance with the site request) address in 2 separate posts.

1. The Problem
Gateway icon in Network settings.

2. Explanation.
I received a virus that blew my hard drive. I installed a new one , and now I have an icon in my network settings window that was not there before, described as internet connection. When I right click on the network icon in task bar, this is what I see in the network connections window....

Name Type Status Device Name

Internet connection internet Gateway connected Internet connection

Local area connection2 LAN H/S Int. Conn. Disabled, F/W pro100/VE net.
Wireless net. Conn. LAN H/S Conn. Connected, F/W Belkin wirelessG

3. More information.
I am running Windows XP home edition
it is a Dell Dimension 4700
I have a Belkin G wireless card
I have re installed all of the drivers and other software listed under this service tag.
I have done all Windows updates available for this system.

4. If I disable the internet connection indicated as internet gateway, I cannot surf or receive e-mail. I was always able to on my system prior to hard drive and driver reinstallation, when I did not have this in my network connections.

5. Questions
1. Are there any dangers to having this here since I do not intend to use my machine as a gateway.
2. How can I get rid of this and still have connectivity to the internet and e-mail?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:45 AM

Go to add and remove programs-> Add/remove windows components-> Networking services->and uncheck Internet Gateway Device discovery and control client to uninstall this. However your wireless may need this service in order to connect properly but if it wasn't there before you should be okay besides you can always put it back if it doesn't work. More info on this service can be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821371
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users