Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid BOOT.ini - Booting from C:Windows

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wake27

Wake27

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

I should get my hand slapped a few times for this, but this happened some time ago. Maybe as far back as 3 months. I guess since the computer has still been running, I have left the issue alone and don't know exactly what this may harm with functionality.

I started the computer up one morning and encountered the error in the topic during loading. I had left my computer on and don't know what may have happened to cause it to shut down.

Hoping someone can help me either restore a Boot file to eliminate this issue or create one. I have no problem if it involves having to start auto loads from scratch or if it is as if its the first time the computer loaded with no settings. I am just unable to use any cd's to accomplish this as my dvd drive took a trip south and I don't have a replacement at this time.

XP Pro 5.1 Build 2600

NOTE: There are a plethora of firmware/hardware/driver updates I need to get done and thought maybe I'd tackle that this Sunday afternoon. Figured I'd wait until I get this resolved and then go from there.
If there is any information needed besides this, let me know. I am immediately online and get notification to my phone upon email notification so response time will only be a few minutes.

Thank you for your time.

UPDATE: from seeing other topics, this may be needed.

Contents of boot.ini

[boot loader] timeout=30 default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS [operating systems] multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

That is it.

Edited by Wake27, 10 January 2010 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:36 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

Louis

#3 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:39 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

Louis

Please read where I stated I cannot use the easy method of just popping my cd in as my dvd drive has failed and purchasing a new one (albeit cheap) is not in my budget right now. If it is absolutely impossible to fix this any other way, please tell me so.

#4 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

Try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/
Does this look like an OldGrumpyBastard or what?

#5 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:00 PM

Try this one:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022/

Since what I have listed as my current boot.ini contents (listed above) is no different from the sample provided in that link, I don't know what I should be changing or why my system would have a problem if it matches up correctly...?

#6 Wake27

Wake27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:07 PM

RESOLVED. I had seen that article previously but since it was identical, thought it wouldn't help. Just dawned on me that my text file was all in one line instead of looking like the sample. Restarted without issue. Thank You for the quick response.

#7 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:08 PM

This is what mine looks like:

Attached Files

#8 OldGrumpyBastard

OldGrumpyBastard

• Members
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:11 PM

Glad it worked for you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users