Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox/Google redirect

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 gdurkee

gdurkee

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:09 PM

Hi:

I've been wrestling with malware that's redirecting the results of Google searches. It's only happening in Firefox. I've run Malwarebytes, AVG & Superantispyware. The first picked up some malware, but none solved the problem. Running No Script add-on in FF blocks the redirect, but isn't too useful since it keeps changing the redirect URL. I'm also getting an occasional Just-in-time debugger screen coming up. Tried to get rid of that also, but it's not going away either. I suspect it's all connected... .

I've followed the preperation instructions here and am ready to upload the DDS & ARC text scans.

I'm also pretty darned close to just do a clean XP reinstall -- it's my mother-in-law's computer and she's been letting her grand kids use it, which is likely the source of the problem. So another question: my plan would be to create a password protected Admin account on XP and a no-priviledges kids account. That and AVG/Malware would be the main protection. Is that reasonable and effective? Other suggestions?

Many thanks!

EDIT: this got moved because I didn't also post the scan logs with it. I've since done that at that forum. If anyone has thoughts on future protection (as above), I'd appreciate it.

George

Edited by gdurkee, 10 January 2010 - 02:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users