Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Delete Driver .exe & Application Files?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Hi,

I just downloaded & installed some drivers from the Gateway website for one of my pc's, as after doing a fresh Windows install, I was missing some drivers. All the drivers are working okay.

Here are my questions...

It is now safe to delete the ".exe" files & "application" files associated with the installed drivers, correct? Actually, I already deleted the .exe files & all seems to be fine, although I haven't removed the application file associated with one of the drivers. Just looking for some reassurance :thumbsup:

Also, a couple of the drivers have folders containing other various info. This may be too general of a question, but if I delete the associated driver folders, will I actually be deleting the drivers? Should I even be concerned about deleting such folders as they do not seem to contain any executable files.

If I can supply additional info to help answer my questions, please let me know. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:52 PM

You may delete any Driver download files as long as you have run the EXE's they are now installed to your c:/ drive. Although it is always quite handy just to burn them to disk or back them up in case you need them in the future.

Edited by longtooth, 10 January 2010 - 01:55 PM.

longtooth

#3 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:01 PM

Thanks longtooth, that confirmed my thoughts.

Just one question though...

One on the drivers is a video controller driver called, "Intel® Express Chipset Family Video Driver", part # "IntelVideo4308".

I was going to also delete its folder until I opened it! I did remove the .exe file associated with this driver but the folder has about 130 files & folders in it, that seem to be related to more than just the driver install. This driver package "controls the graphics hardware features of this computer", as indicated in the control panel.

Any thoughts?

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:32 PM

What is the file path? If it is C:\Cabs or C:\Gateway then it should be safe to delete. If it is C:\Programs or C:\Windows I would leave it alone.

A suggestion. Burn the downloaded driver.exe`s to a CD or toss them on an external\secondary hard drive. A lot easier then d\l`ing them come the next reformat.

#5 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

What is the file path? If it is C:\Cabs or C:\Gateway then it should be safe to delete.

Thanks,

The path is C:\CABS. So, all that crap in the folder is what then? I know you don't literally know what is on my machine but typically, why all the files & folders?

I would imagine for example, that the GUI called "Intel Graphics Media Accelerated Driver", which can be easily accessed via the icon in the Control Panel, may be lost if I delete the folders, as well as the icon in the Control Panel. Seems useless anyway. This video driver (IntelVideo4308) controls my display & the "power options". Deleting the folder won't affect any of that?

Sorry to ask more questions.

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:09 AM

When you downloaded the driver.exe and double clicked it the files are first extracted to the CABS folder. The first install creates the CABS folder as it is not a native Windows location. They are then automatically installed from the CABS folder. If you have doubts then do a search for the various files. You will find duplicates of them. Some probably in C:\Windows, possibly also in C:\Programs. If you have your options set to show Hidden files and folders you may find some too.

If you are in doubt then leave the contents of the CABS folder. They hurt nothing other then taking up a bit of space.

#7 Bub12

Bub12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 04:37 PM

ThunderZ,

THANK YOU FOR A GREAT & CLEAR EXPLANATION!

I deleted the CABS folder & all works as it did. And you're correct in that the files within the CABS folder are also installed on the machine now in other places, at least the ones I checked.

I appreciate your help.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

Your :thumbsup:

That`s why the BC crew is here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users