Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS loop de loop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

:thumbsup:
Hi I have a Hp Pavilion DV6000 that keeps boot looping with no Fault audibles, i put it in the workshop draw for a couple of months as a assumed the MB was whacked out but yesterday i plugged it in again and left it to charge (because i'm pedantic like that) I then happened to walk in the workshop and saw a boot log on the screen.

I then quickly slapped a HD in and loaded windows 7. All was good and rebooted 4 or 5 times as i installed the drivers, updated the chipset, rebooted and hey presto............................. loop de loop boot..
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

longtooth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:06 PM

There's a fair bit of stuff on the Internet about this model -
'built to fail' etc. and there seems to be a general consensus that it's
a motherboard problem.

As an engineer, you are presumably able to check this out.

Saw a lot of suggestions about replacing the battery, but the mobo
tops the list. HP is supposed to be aware of the problem.

Google for lots of horror stories.

#3 longtooth

longtooth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

Thanks Pete, I am aware of the manfacturing fault on this particular model, and i guess it is the mobo issue, but i've never known one to fire up again after it dies, this machine did start with the wireless chip of death and that is why i purchased it from the customer for spares, but it seems weird that it fired up again and for so long. I'm sure i'm wasting my time on it and probabaly should scrap the mobo alltogether.

longtooth

#4 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:42 PM

Useful info:

"If you are a UK consumer and are having problems with your HP Laptop
take it back to the store you bought it from and demand a refund under the Sale of Goods Act 1979.
Don’t worry if it’s out of Warranty, you have up to 6 years to raise the issue under this Act
although you may have to prove the goods were not of ’satisfactory quality’ and the fault was inherent.

The DV6000 series in particular seems prone to failure and HP offered an Extended Warranty service to some
but not all consumers whose laptops showed symptoms such as losing wireless access, failure to boot up, blank screens etc.
It would appear that eventually the motherboard needs to be replaced due to an alleged overheating graphics card,
cheap solder and poor cooling."

Appreciate the circumstances are somewhat different now; how about tackling the 'cooling' problem - may
give it a bit of life; but you will know best.

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:50 PM

Abosolutely a known problem. NVidia chipsets of that vintage are prone to fail. HP Livechat is the fastest way to see if you can get HP to cover the problem. NVidia is footing the bill for repairs/replacements. I have had really good luck getting HP to step up and take care of customers.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users