Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Desktop Connections (Solution For Home editions?)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yaga

yaga

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:32 PM

Hello,

Was wondering if anyone knew of any good alternatives to Remote Desktop Connection for Home editions of Vista? Since the service is limited on Home editions, are there any quality 3rd party software solutions? I'm not interested in hacking the Telnet settings to make it work. =) I would be attempting to do this outside of my LAN.

As always, any responses you guys give me is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GamerX

GamerX

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:51 PM

I would suggest Hamachi, You can use it as a VPN and a Remote Desktop:

http://hamachi.en.softonic.com/

Fate: protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise. -Commander Riker ST:NG , “Contagion”

My forum Tech-linkforum
My blog Tech-linkblog

#3 yaga

yaga
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 04:00 PM

GamerX, thank you!

I have actually given a try to TightVNC after some heavy searching, but i am worried about my sister's computer (aka, the server-side?) having any open port vulnerabilities after i transfer files (wedding photos) to her machine.

Question... once my connection to her computer is terminated, will she have any ports left open on her computer?

I've opted for the executable version of TightVNC (no installation of the software) if that matters?

My apologies if this topic has gone more into Networking than the Vista OS. I put this topic in here because i thought folks w/knowledge of Vista may know some of the network security Vista has.

Again, thanks for your reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users