Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No option to rename folders/files in My Documents

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lernme

lernme

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:30 PM

Windows XP, SP 3 Professional
Dell Inspiron E1705
Office Professional

About a month ago I lost the option (right click or in the pane to the left side of window) to rename files or folders that are in My Documents.
I had a friend look at it and he was able to verify that they could be renamed using the DOS prompt and the REN command.
I did a Disk Cleanup, ran Malwarebytes, ran AVG virus scan, and then did a Defrag. When I did the defrag, I noticed that I have a lot of files
that can't be defragmented. I have never had that many files unable to defrag. Lots of files won't defragment.

However, I don't have this problem with files on my desktop. Just in My Documents.

I also remember a few weeks ago I had created a "New Folder". When I tried to rename it, that's when I discovered the problem. At some
point after that, I created another "New Folder" and realized it was named "New Folder (2)" because there was already one with that name.
So, I deleted the first "New Folder". But, when I go to the recycle bin, it is not there. I also deleted another empty folder yesterday. It was
named My Received Files and had been in My Documents since I got the computer. But, again when I go to the recycle bin, it is not there.

I have RClicked My Documents>Properties and seen that the "Read Only" block is not checked, but it is filled in green shading. So, I click on
it to get it white and save it, then come back and it's green again.

I find others with this problem, but no threads that have a rememdy. I hope someone can solve this issue for me.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,297 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:07 PM

I would start with running chkdsk /r, possibly followed up by running the sfc /scannow command.

Chkdsk /r can be run by following the directions at http://www.hard-drive-help.com/chkdsk.html under Starting Check Disk.

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/

Louis

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 12:21 PM

Did your malware scans come up with anything at all? If so, what?

You may have a corrupted user profile--or an infection that messes with your profile. Not sure that System File Checker will help with that.

Can you rename files on your desktop? Save a Notepad file to your desktop, try to rename it and let us know.

Also try this: instead of right clicking, selct the file you want to rename and then press the F2 key. Can you rename the file now?

I think the read only attribute being a green block is normal, but try this--When you go to the Properties of your My Documents folder, click the Sharing tab and make sure there is not a check in the "Make this folder private" box. Also check it's parent folder, up one level, which would be the folder of the username you are logged into. A quick way to get to that would be to paste %userprofile% in the Run box and hit Enter. Also check the level above that, which would be the Documents and Settings folder.

Have you tried renaming files/folders in other (global) areas that aren't in your userprofile folder? To test, open your hard drive root folder in My Computer, create a test Notepad file and see if it will rename.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 lernme

lernme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:25 AM

Okay, I was able to correct the naming issue. I finally noticed that somehow my "My Documents" folder had gotten moved to become a subfolder of "Recent Documents". After I moved them back to where they are supposed to be, the "rename" option reappeared. However, when I would try to do a test renaming a folder, the new name would not stick, it would go back to the old name. But, then the next day, the new names started staying and everything seems to work normally.

But, I still have the problem of a bunch of files from "My Documents" not defragmenting. I mean, it is a lot of files. I've never had this problem and I defragment quite regularly.
Any help on what could be causing that?

Or should I post this as a new problem in a different post?

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,297 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

What type of files?

How do you know that specific folder locations won't defrag?

What utility are you using to defrag?

Louis

#6 lernme

lernme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

Types of files include .wmv, .pst, .cab, .rbf,

and 4 Windows installer files of type .msi and .msp

Some .reg and .exe files.

.sqlite files and a .dat file.

Quickbooks .msi file

When I run the defrag utility (Microsoft Windows tool that came installed with the computer) shows different colors for files that are contiguous vs. fragmented or unmovable. And there is a lot of "red" for fragmented files that was never there before. About 20% or more of the fragmented files are .wmv movie files.

And, when the defrag finishes running, it informs me that there are files that could not be defragged.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,297 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

FWIW: The Windows defrag utility has never defragged all files on C:. That's one of the reasons that many users employ a 3d-party defrag utility. The files that you mentioned all should be capable of defragmentation, assuming that the hard drive has no problems. I suggest running the chkdsk /r command on the C: partition before using the XP defrag tool.

You might try one of the many free ones available, such as those mentioned at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sou...;aqi=g8&oq=.

Louis

#8 lernme

lernme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

I ran a Disk Cleanup, Malware Bytes, then Chkdsk /r followed by a third party defrag utility called IOBit. It seemed to do a better job of defragging. But, there are still a number of files that are fragmented. IOBit also has an optimizer that I ran as well. So, I think it may have done some good. Also, no more renaming files problems. So, hopefully things are back to normal. Thanks to all for the feedback and help.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,297 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users