Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange memtest failure after leaving PC off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bentrinh

bentrinh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

I've been working on this for a month and I still have no idea what the heck is wrong with my newest build.

First some some background. I built two computers, both using the Gigabyte ga-ma770t-ud3p, AMD phenom 550, and a 4850 (but of different brands). Build 1 is OK. No problems. Build 2, however had a strange problem - if left off for more than a few hours, it'd completely fail in memtest, creating thousands of errors all with a bit error of 00800000. However, if build 2 is power cycled, all is well again, until it's left off for a few hours.

So of course I think something is defective. I start switching parts, one at a time, and replacing the last switched part back and running memtest on both build 1 and build 2 to cross check.

But despite switching EVERY component, and doing EVERY thing I can think of, build I STILL have the same error.

Things I tried:
  • Swapping CPU's
  • Replacing the motherboard (originally build 2 had Rev 1.0, but now after RMA it has Rev 1.1. Exact same errors)
  • Swapping RAM
  • Swapping GPU's
  • Swapping PSU's
  • Swapping CD drives
  • Swapping BIOs settings
  • Resetting the BIOs

I'm out of ideas, the only part I haven't tested is the case, and that can't be part of the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 longtooth

longtooth

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

Just Have the MOBO replaced on your warranty, i cant see anything else you can do, have you checked clock speed? Are you attatching HD's that's the only thing you havn't mentioned

Edited by longtooth, 10 January 2010 - 01:36 PM.

longtooth

#3 bentrinh

bentrinh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just Have the MOBO replaced on your warranty, i cant see anything else you can do, have you checked clock speed? Are you attatching HD's that's the only thing you havn't mentioned

I ran the tests with no HD's attached. I replaced the motherboard but still, the exact same error. The new one even has a new firmware and is a new revision.

#4 bentrinh

bentrinh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

Alright guys here's what happened. Turns out it never occurred to me that one of the RAM modules that I tested to be working could be at fault. I tested all the modules several times, but I never tried switching a "good" module (it passed all tests otherwise) into the working build and powercycling it. Man, I order 4 sticks from G.skill and 3 of them are defective...

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:26 AM

that happens sometimes. Ive never used g-skill but i have friends who have and never had a problem with it, but defective parts always happen. Funny story is that I built a system using Patriot ddr3 2000 mhz. well, the motherboard didnt support 2000 mhz but the memory automatically downgraded to 1600 mhz np. that wasnt the problem anyway, it kept BSODing on me. I couldnt figured out why so I ran memtest and got 4 errors, so I dropped the ram down to 1000 mhz, and ran memtest-passed with flying colors. So i did some research, come to find out the memory needed to run at 1.65v and the motherboard defaulted to 1.5v. so, low and behold I upped the voltage, problem solved. Stuff happens. anyway, hope your replacement memory works. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users