First some some background. I built two computers, both using the Gigabyte ga-ma770t-ud3p, AMD phenom 550, and a 4850 (but of different brands). Build 1 is OK. No problems. Build 2, however had a strange problem - if left off for more than a few hours, it'd completely fail in memtest, creating thousands of errors all with a bit error of 00800000. However, if build 2 is power cycled, all is well again, until it's left off for a few hours.
So of course I think something is defective. I start switching parts, one at a time, and replacing the last switched part back and running memtest on both build 1 and build 2 to cross check.
But despite switching EVERY component, and doing EVERY thing I can think of, build I STILL have the same error.
Things I tried:
- Swapping CPU's
- Replacing the motherboard (originally build 2 had Rev 1.0, but now after RMA it has Rev 1.1. Exact same errors)
- Swapping RAM
- Swapping GPU's
- Swapping PSU's
- Swapping CD drives
- Swapping BIOs settings
- Resetting the BIOs
I'm out of ideas, the only part I haven't tested is the case, and that can't be part of the problem.